Just what is an RPG-43? Some answers

Given the recent interest in this Soviet AT grenade I thought I'd offer some more info on this weapon system.

First, here is what it looks like in the game:

rpg43.jpg

The device you see over the PzIV is the game's representation of the RPG-43. It's not quite accurate, but very very close, and certainly gives the idea of its operation.

The next couple of a documents are from Bovington (obtained through the good graces of Kip smile.gif ). They describe in good detail how the RPG-43 worked, and include an actual picture of how it looks like when deployed after throwing. I also included the description of the RPG-6, a latter AT grenade from the war. The RPG-6 was lighter, had more filler, and didn't require any sort of stabilization mechanism.

rpg01.jpg

rpg02.jpg

Finally, this is a cutaway photo of an RPG-43:

cutaway.jpg

Oh my, oh my. I would NOT want to be the guy who has to stand up and throw that thing! At least its better than the Japanese version where you run up to a tank with a shaped charge tied to the end of a not-very-long bamboo pole!

Very good info. New stuff to me!

The weapon definitely has its disadvantages, given that it must be thrown, unlike a Panzerfaust. However, with a penetration capability of over 75mm, it can easily defeat the top armor of any tank in WWII. Also, since it is thrown, the enemy has to see it thrown to know where it came from, for the most part, since throwing causes no back blast, dust, or audible report (other than the occasional grunt on the heave ;) ). Thus, RPG-43s can be extremely effective in wooded or urban areas, or at night.