Types of recon vehicles. (motorcycles)

CMBO got me interested in the history of WW2 battles and weapons, and CMBB definitly adds to that interest.

I've started reading books, not just the picture ones either, lol, watching more of the history channel ect ect...

I'm currently almost done with a book called "Panzer Aces" by Franz Kurowski... it's the story of the 6 greatest Tank Commanders in the German Military (during WW2)...

My question, to the people out there in the know... Almost every tank platoon, company, ect ect... had motorcycles with a machine gun side car used for scouts and flank protection, why isn't that modelled in the game? was it not a worthy component to the armor operations? or where they not as popular as the book seems to imply there were?

(NOT bad mouthing the game, Hell, I love it! just wondering... thanks for your time.)

"Potential problem of REALLY GAMEY recon exploitation in the game, leading to really ahistorical gamey recon behaviour in players"

I think they said something like this the last time it came up.

So NO, there are no gamey motorcyle recon troops because the nature of Borg Spotting (Absolute Spottng) makes them REALLY gamey and valuable to a player because they would be FAST VERY Fast and they would see all and know all about the enemy in NO time!

ok?

-tom w

You wouldn't be able to use them motorcycles in CM in a realistic manner. I'm quite certain they weren't used off road, and in situations where contact with the enemy is imminent, á la your average battle in CM.

More like scouting ahead for an attacking force, with some distance between themselves. Upon the first sight of the enemy they'd race back to report what they'd seen.

Motorcycles had two primary purposes in the German Army:

1. Large scale recon for Panzer Divisions

2. Small scale recon and liason for most HQs

Use #1 was basically a mechanized form of the traditional horse mounted recon squads, which were still in use with all non-Panzer Divisions until late 1942 early 1943. The Germans quickly realized that motorcycle mounted recon troops were not all that usefull against a cohesive and plentiful enemy, as was the case in the Soviet Union. They were just too easily picked off and had very limited offroad capabilities. This led to the replacement of motorcycles with the SPW 250 halftrack.

Horse mounted recon was withdrawn more because it was too difficult for the Germans to train riders and care/feed the animals. The horses were replaced with bicycles.

Also, most infantry divisions no longer took part in rapid advances against unknown enemy resistance, which made traditional recon in general not all that important. What was still important was local recon, which was always acheived using foot soldiers and counter intelligence units (i.e. radio interceptions, interrogations of prisoners, etc.). It can therefore be said that after 1942 strategic recon became more or less the exclusive domain of Panzer and Panzergrenadier divisions.

Now, as for #2 use... this continued all the way up to the end of the war. Depending on the size and type of the HQ, there would be one or more motorcycles with and/or without sidecar. These vehicles were mostly used to shuttle information and officers around in order to keep cohesion internally and with neighboring units. They were not intended to be used for recon in the traditional sense of the word (i.e. driving off into the unknown and reporting back).

In CM we don't have motorcycles because they really weren't a part of a CM type battle and therefore are outside of CM's scope. On top of that, the chances of them being used ahistorically is VERY great, and that means their inclusion would actually mean an overall lowering of the game's historical accuracy.

Steve

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

This forum is great... Magnum MGG asks a good question, and "The Official Booming Voice From Above" responds just 1 hour later... :cool:

....the "booming voice" never responded to my query on motorcycles.......

It's nice to hear the "official" word, and to know that BF does respond to their customers.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by The Oak:

....the "booming voice" never responded to my query on motorcycles.......

"You were weighed in the balance and found unworthy."

:D

Michael</font>

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

"Potential problem of REALLY GAMEY recon exploitation in the game, leading to really ahistorical gamey recon behaviour in players"

I've noticed that Jeeps and Kubles can't see crap now. Sweet. I love the tank hunter teams. Cheap, realistic scouts that can ruin a tank's day! Reminds me of the three man recon teams from CC3. That was my favorit unit: Scout the front, hide in a house or wheat field, then pounce on the unlucky squad or tank with SMGs or 'Fausts when they came too close! :cool: