Does smoke kill Pillboxes?

I noticed this happening to me before, but I never put much thought into it. Then last nite in a PBEM game I told my tank to smoke a concrete MG pillbox and one of the smoke rounds seemed to land "in" the pillbox. Once the smoke emitted from the round, the pillbox crew abandoned the pillbox and took off running. Does the smoke choke them out and they have to bail for fresh air? Has anyone seen this before? It seems like a great way to KO pillboxes. I've seen this happen to me before once; my oppponent dropped 81mm off map mortar smoke around my pillbox and one landed on the pillbox and smoked out the crew. I haven't seen much on this topic so I'd like to here if anyone else can further support this or confirm it.

I suppose this would be true. Either they cannot breath or fear what is coming at them through the smoke.

As a side note, when I was in the military and we were doing city clearing, we were always warned about not popping smoke in tunnels since it would provde to be disastrous for all involved.

I will have to try this. The best thing for tank guns and pillboxes is some 105 mike mike. No exposure for your tanks and it takes only a couple turns worth. This usually leaves some rounds for softer targets.

I then catch the softer targets with your tanks.

Thanks...Mike Mike 105mm rounds...

I remember reading how tank crews would commit suicide under heavy barrages of artillery. They rather eat their gun then take the thundersous pounding rattling their skulls.

Anyone know why radio operators don't like it when you say "repeat, over"?

I ran some tests and couldn't smoke out a MG pillbox. I'm guessing that they bailed for a dirrerent reason and it was just a coincidence that the smoke started at about the same time. Remember, machineguns and such can force a crew to bail from a MG pillbox. If you order a tank to smoke a bunker the tank's MGs will fire at it as well. Still, just because I couldn't duplicate it doesn't mean that it is impossible, just unlikely. ;)

Man everytime I order my tanks to fire smoke at a pillbox they usually only fire one round :rolleyes: . Then my tank usually gets knocked out by return fire :mad: . Oh well it's only a game (at least that's what I keep telling myself).

Eric

105mm - you must be talking about wooden bunkers. This approach has been discussed numerous times on this board and with regard to concrete bunkers, artillery, regardless of size, will not take them out. Folks have reported, however, that the Priest is capable of taking out a pillbox, frontally, upon occasion.

I hate to say it, but it was a concrete bunker. A wooden bunker would not even be an issue. Those guys were getting rattled hard and then bailed... only to be slaughtered by the incoming rounds.

Concrete bunkers are almost invincible but firing slit shots with tanks and artillery can still take them out.

I will try the scenario again tonight but my FO had line of sight and literally pummeled that target.

Have you ever been close to artillery rounds?

There is no hell greater on earth. Those guys could have been green and just failed a morale check.

Wow. That is contrary to my own experience and everything I've read on this board, but who knows? Please give us an update on that, will ya? As it has come up on the board several times in the past, it is obviously of great interest.