Fighter/bombers

Hello! I'm new here, done a few PBEM and lots of single player QB's. I have a question I haven't seen in the forums here or adequately explained in the manual about fighter bombers...

I understand that if you employ fighterbombers, you have no control over them and they lazily circle the battlefield picking off targets they think are vulnerable. Two Questions:

1. Is there any way to SEE the planes?

2. Is there any way to see thier kill info? How many casualties they inflicted, what targets they're choosing, etc.

?

Thanks.

I like it here...you'll be seeing more of me.

DocDarm

New York City

You can see the plane's shadows. Seeing their kill info is not an option. You can usually hear them coming and attacking, as well as will hear any AAA start firing on them. You will find out if one dies in the AAR, however.

WWB

Planes are a really neat addition... I tried a QB vs the AI to use my first plane to see what would happen.. it didn't show up until like the fourth last turn... it makes a bombing run on two knocked out British AFVs, one of the bombs taking out my Hetzer and an entire platoon of my men and the other bomb landing behind the knocked out British AFVs... yeah, my Hetzer was about 60 - 75 m from these enemy vehicles. Then the next turn the plane strafes the two same vehicles hehe.. after which it attacks on the other side of the battlefield, taking out a daimler I found out after. That was only my second experience with a plane though...

Planes can very well be shot down. They show up as kill in the AA-capable unit's kill statistics. If they go into the victory point statistics (very probable), that is very bad news for the owner.

Even if they are not shot down, they will be chased away by AA fire. Attacking Americans with planes is usually futile, although the Bofors AA is rarely seen. But all the .50cal mounted on Shermans, Stuarts, Greyhounds, TDs, M3A1 and the major's dog will open up.

Axis folks usually have AA guns around as MG replacements, but many unit selections would be vulnerable.

As well as hearing them pass overhead, and see their shadow zoom over the ground, you may also see a yellow target line from the vehicle or unit being attacked up to the passing aircraft as it attacks. In my limited experience there is a very significant risk of suffering "friendly" fire from aircraft.

Yes, planes can be shot down. Whenever an enemy plane shows up in a battle (look for it's shadow passing), click on your own AA assets. They will start tracking the plane while is significantly off the board. The target line will move very fast as it follows the plane. I seem to recall a noise which went with the plane getting shot down, also, I think that the AA asset gets credit for the kill in it's kill report. I think this requires a test involving 15 fighter-bombers vs. 15 AA guns of different calibers.

I plyed once a meeting engagement (PBEM) with computer picked forces (combined arms). I had no AA defense and the computer gave my opponent a fighter/bomber. It knocked out one of my two Hetzers and ALL of my halftracks (about 7 or 8) :eek: I had a very hard time to get this game to a draw afterwards...