New sound mod coming out!

But its at a whopping 23,7 megs (and thats zipped mp3s mind you!)

I will be uploading it to the mod database sometime this week... hope you all like it!

Heres the Readme:

All these sounds are in mp3 format because of their file size (219 Mb unzipped!!!) and to use them in CMBB you have to convert them into wav format again... for this i suggest you use a program like CDex wich you can find at http://www.cdex.n3.net

I primarily made this mod for my own enjoyment but since I´m such a nice guy I thought I´d share it with the rest of you...

I have also used (with his kind permission) some of scipios sounds... I´m not sure about all of them but I do know that all the cannon and explosion sounds are his.

I´ve broken this mod into several smallar mods for all you (like me) poor bastards with 56k modems out there. The addon zip contains background sounds wich are quite large (14+ megs as zipped mp3s!) and i put these in a special zip for the above mentioned reason...

The alternative00000411.wav is an alternative version of the sharpshooter sound. This one is just one shot as opposed to the one I use in my mod wich contains five shots representing the fact that the sharpshooter fires of a volley when he expends one "ammo".

I´ve tried to make the sounds longer so that the battles will sound more intense and this means that some of the sounds (especially the smg sounds of weapons emptying their mags) will last longer than the firing animation and tracers in the game... but this is no real problem...

I have also changed some of the german voice wavs to wavs from MOH:AA (my favourite fps... thanx EA!!)

I hope you enjoy this mod as much as I do...

/Oddball_E8 aka Josef Porta

[ November 13, 2002, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Oddball_E8 ]

I think I might be doing something like this... I will be uploading it day by day... since im on a 56k modem i wont be able to upload all of it in one go... i think i might be able to use my friends computer (he has broadband) but if i cant i will upload it on a daily basis... about 3 zips per day... (they are about 1-2 megs each)

Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

Well since i am a real idiot and tired to boot its not strange that i only now realised that DBpoweramp is a much better program for converting the files... you can download this at http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

sorry... :rolleyes:

Wow, you aren't kidding about DBpoweramp. What a great little app, and it can be used through the right click context menu as well. Good call! :D

Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

But its at a whopping 23,7 megs (and thats zipped mp3s mind you!)...All these sounds are in mp3 format because of their file size (219 Mb unzipped!!!) and to use them in CMBB you have to convert them into wav format again...

I hate to tell you this, but your going about the sound mod thing the wrong way.

A .ZIPed .WAV file will only be 1%-2% larger than a .ZIPed file of those same .WAVs converted to MP3s.

In addition, most people don't want to have to fart around with converting 23.7MB of sound files.

What I'm trying to say is, to make things easy for those that use your mod, just make it a .ZIP file of .WAVs, not MP3s. You're not really saving any filespace by making them into MP3's and it will make the users a lot happier and more apt to use your mods in the future.

Just a word of advice from the mod database...

COG

Edit: I will gladly help rearrange the mods in the database should you decide to change them.

[ November 14, 2002, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: ColumbusOHGamer ]

Hmmm... advice taken... but i asked the master himself (scipio) and he said it still saved space if you zipped them as mp3s instead of waves... and as for converting its a jiffy with the DbPowerAMP... just extract all the mp3s to a folder and then just select all of them, right click and choose wav... Piece of cace :cool:

oh well it makes no difference now since they are all uploaded... thanx for your great site btw... loving it! visit it about 5 times per day just to see whats new... :D

Please do COG!

I'm a 56k type, myself, but I would rather d/l 20+ megs of .wavs than have to go get some software I'll never use again and go through the whole conversion process.

I've been a Modslut since the early days of BO, but I never fooled with any of Scipio's sounds, or others, that were mp3's for the very reason you mentioned above.

MP3 do compress to much smaller files than zipped wav's, since the method of compression is totally different. File compression methods don't do well at all with audio or image files, because they rely on finding repeating patterns in the data, and audio and images have very little of such data. You have to approach compressing such files from totally different angle.

This is not correct.

Example, sound file

00000209.wav = 138 kb

zipped = 103 kb

192bit mp3 = 39 kb = 62% smaller then the zipped wav.

You are 100% correct sir! I stand corrected. Here's my results (I used the.WAV files from Windoze):

77 Raw .WAV Files = 6.73MB

.WAV files .zip'd with WinZip = 5.5MB

192 bitrate MP3's = 2.35MB

320 bitrate MP3's = 3.87MB

.ZIP'd 320 bitrate MP3's = 3.64MB

I was totally wrong about this. And with that little DBPowerAmp, it only took 7 seconds to convert the MP3's to WAV. That's roughly 1 second per meg, so it should only take about 30 seconds max to convert the .MP3's to .WAV files.

I endorse this method completely.

COG

Originally posted by MrNoobie:

upload the rest of the sound oddball

I will... but youll have to wait till saturday night (my time)... oooooor... IF youre lucky i might do it tonite... (this is 06:45 my time... just woke up :( )

Besides... its just ambiance sounds and a new startup song...