UNIT Profile Pics?

Would someone explain to me, please, why the unit profile pics are not done to show the UNIT in PROFILE? Currently the full version and the demo show the pics of soldiers (BMPS) enlarged so that the upper and right border of the BMP is 25% missing. I assume this is to 1)emphasize unit insignia or ranks on shoulder patchs and 2)emphasize the unit uniform and flag to upper left. Maybe I'm missing something but this makes no improvement for me as the picture is to small to see the shoulder patch. Someone obviously took some time to make the pictures of the unit profiles and then BTS seems to have made a conscious decision to wreck it by only showing 3/4 of the picture to emphasize a portion of it. I have seen pictures from BTS during the making of CMBB and no they USED to have the full picture in there of the unit profiles but changed it.

I don't like it the way it is and look forward to Modding it but mostly I don't understand why they did it. Would someone please explain to me or give me a link to a thread that explains it so that I might accept this rather minor irritation. It is of course really small potatoes but I'm pretty curious why that decision was made. Any positive or constructive responses would be appreciated.

PS- Don't call me a NOOB, I lost my old password to the Forum and to recreate a new account. I have been a BTS fan since prior to first CM demo release.

John aka

ConantheBarbarian tongue.gif

[ October 29, 2002, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: ConantheBarbarian ]

I think you pretty much comprehend the reasons why. Except you neglected to mention the 3/4 view allows the country's flag to be seen in the background --- helpful in determining who's who.

Besides, if it's anything like CMBO, there will be about 50 different unit portrait mods available shortly...

PS: I always liked Kull the Conqueror better.

No, I mentioned the flag in point#2

2)emphasize the unit uniform and flag to upper left.
But point noted...

I still hold to my point where the full portrait was made of the unit which everything could be seen well enough. Enlarging it and cutting off 25% of the picture didn't seem to help things. I really don't understand the decision to do so.

Why didn't hey just use markers like the ones in ASL in the middle of a flag instead of wrecking the unit portrait?

PS- Conan in comic book history came before Kull...Conan was played in movies by Arnold, Kull was played by Kevin Sorba in a movie...I rest my case

John

The simple truth is the current implementation wasn't what we intended either but there are over 300 different profiles that would have been needed and we could not obtain enough source material to make full profiles like CMBO had.

We tried historical pictures but colorizing them and getting permission to use them took much too long and was overly complicated.

We tried Re-enactors and initially progress was made but it seems that 99% of WWII reenactors are SS-PanzerGrenadiers. Doesnt do us much good with Finns, Italians, Hungarians Romanians and Russians needing to be included as well ya know?

We toyed with in-game screenshots but again time to do this and overall quality made that not work either.

In the upcoming v1.01 we have included many more portraits (which are pretty cool looking) but they are still the current 3/4 slant view with the flag in the background. This perspective does allow you to view the rank insignias though, although I never really thought that was important but others seem to like it.

This was just another area where we didn't have the time and resources to do with like we wanted but did the very best we could. I am actually surprised its taking so long for this area to get moded. I would have thought it would have been one of the first things moded.

Madmatt

[ October 30, 2002, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Thanks Matt, I'm a little surprised I haven't seen this issue talked abit more about but as I said it's in my opinion, and problably others also, small potatoes. Its still bothers me.....taht it is the 3/4 view, but the POSITIVE side is that it is probably the only issue I have as CMBB is so awesome.

Is there anywhere online in an archive I can get those original pics before they were edited...as they should be somewhere? Otherwise I'm planning on modding all the profile pics myself. Nothing to extravagant as it's not important to me that the portraits are proper. I assume I'll just do screenshots of Enemy of the Gates and Stalingrad and then make them into portraits. I can always add nationality flags to the portrait...it should look ok.

John

Hehehe sorry couldn't resist being a Conan fan as well as an Arnold fan.

LOL tongue.gif

I like the pics Michael I'll stop by your website to pick them up. I'll probably still change a few others to movie personalities just because I'm a big movie fan. In CMBO I changed all the pics to Saving Private Ryan, Big Red One and other movie shots....of course I had to add Oddball from Kellies Heros for my US armour profile pics. Those pics make the game more fun for me, personal preference I guess.

John

[ October 31, 2002, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: ConantheBarbarian ]

...?

Well not sure...Howard after all created Conan the Barbarian but I think Kull was a creation of Marvel. King Kull I think started in 'Savage Sword of Conan' comic/magazine. BUt I recall a specific letter re/ who came first was in the mail/letter section of Savage Sword Mag and it stated that Kull's empire was after Conan and the Hyperborean era.

John

Yes, please do post there, I'll take your ASL conversion in bits and pieces until its done smile.gif

COG's site is getting pegged pretty hard, but it's been solidly online since he announced it AFAIK.

If you can't upload it there, can you email them to me? Much appreciated!

Originally posted by GJK:

Yes, please do post there, I'll take your ASL conversion in bits and pieces until its done smile.gif

COG's site is getting pegged pretty hard, but it's been solidly online since he announced it AFAIK.

Pretty please? :D

Originally posted by GJK:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GJK:

Pretty please? :D </font>