Grass and Mud MOD

Hi all

I've just uploaded a Grass and Mud mod at the mod database (i.e. http://www.cmmods.com)

It replaces all the grass textures with much more detailed textures. Its graduated in colour to represent altitude and there is also extra mud and rocks at the lower altitudes to enhance this effect and the overall realism. I've also removed the scattered tree grounds (and replaced them with transparent maps) and made the woods and pine tree grounds much more subtle. The mod reflects my own desire to make the battleground look more realistic - it doesn't make finding your troops any easier but I like it that way smile.gif

Here are a couple of pictures:

SDog_grass.JPG

SDog_grass1.JPG

Two things...

First, this looks awesome. I love it.

Second, Stop! in the name of humanity and my sanity!!! ;)

Many moons ago, I downloaded Gunnergoz's spring speckled grass because I thought it looked great. But I also use Magua's Normandy grass from time to time, and occasionally DesertFox's grass, then I found out you can swap in CMBB's grass into CMBO...and now this!!!

This Thanksgiving, I'm grateful for Gordon Molek and CMMOS. :D

Seriously, this looks like some great stuff Strontium Dog. Thanks! :cool:

This is damn nice Strontium dog. It really makes the terrain real looking. I like it - lots. Outstanding job and thank you. What with CMBB out and all I really needed a little shot in the arm for CMBO and now thanks to you we have it. You modders continue to amaze me.

Originally posted by Mr. Die Easy:

Would you consider making a CMMOS version?

Hi Mr Die Easy, I'm considering making a CMMOS version smile.gif Gordon has kindly sent me some documentation about this and I'm reading Old Dog's instruction threads on the CMBB board. The only problem is lack of motivation (as its no use to me on a Mac) but I'll see if I can overcome that (or maybe someone else will do it smile.gif ).

Thanks all for the positive feedback on the mod. I'm really pleased you all like it so much.

This mod is amazingly good-looking ! smile.gif

Only problem is that elevation changes as well as trees/woods "terrain limits" are much harder to notice than with my previous Gridded DF mod... It may be Ok from a realism standpoint but that's too much for me, it puts me at a disadvantage in Pbem tongue.gif !

Strontium Dog could we have a "Higher Visibility" version imprving that ? Please ... :D

Glad you like the snow too Mr Die Easy.

Thanks Pascal smile.gif I hate grids so no chance on that score I'm afraid. If you want better defined woods and scattered trees just add the grounds from another terrain mod. I've had enough of modding for now, don't get time to play if I spend all my spare time painting grass and stuff smile.gif

I just started using Strontium Dog's grass mod in the PBEM QB that I'm playing with him. Correction! That I'm winning over him. :D And I must write that I really like the scattered rock effect and the more subtle scattered tree areas. The only thing you have to watch out for is to make sure that your units are being placed in the scattered tree area and not in open ground. A nice job!

I liked the grass, loved the grass, but didn't like the way I couldn't tell tree cover from open ground. The grass also slowed down my system too much.

So I played around with the MOD and eliminated its affect on tress, making it a grass-only MOD. Fits my preferred taste very nicely now.

See profile and email me if you want it for your CMBO. Of course the mod is still credited to Strontium Dog.

[ December 02, 2002, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Alsatian ]

Originally posted by Alsatian:

I liked the grass, loved the grass, but didn't like the way I couldn't tell tree cover from open ground. The grass also slowed down my system too much.

DD's tree bases look nice with this fantastic grass. Very stressful decision I have now when playing CMBO - what grass to use?! Kinda like having a harem these days.

Alsatian: Glad you like it, please feel free to hack it up and distribute as you like, that's what its for.

By the way, as there are no pink bits in the grass maps you can just resize them to half size to ease the load on your graphics card. I tried it here and it looks almost as good. I thought about uploading a lo-res version but figured that people could do that themselves if they need to. If anyone doesn't know how to do this and would prefer a lo-res version to download just shout and I'll stick one on COGs server for you.

Great job SD. The grass/mod mud actually looks really good in CM:BB as well, for those that purchased the combo pack or also own CM:BO (or even if you just own CM:BB but lurk in here as well).

I'm going to try your snow/mud mod next. Thanks for the great job.

Check your in-box

I've started modding your mud road from your winter terrain mod pack so it fits a little better into CMBB. I'm looking for permission to change and release this mod.

How the hell did you get all the roads to line up perfectly. I tried last year but I gave up from the frustration.

I'm in the same boat as you. CMMOS mods don't help me, I'm a mac loser to. tongue.gif

[ December 05, 2002, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Hoopenfaust 101 ]