Halftrack firepower

Originally posted by PvtTom:

I would think tank MG firepower would be as good or better than HMG firepower, you have stable platform and powerful sights to use when shooting.

You're in a cramped steel box with a firing slit barely larger than the hole in your average mailbox. The entire contraption is moving on treads in rugged terrain, perhaps balanced on crude metal springs.

Where is the "stable platform", or "powerful sights"?

The cox MG, yes, it uses the gun sights and it has a pretty decent mount. But the sights are adjusted for the main gun. A 7.62 MG doesn't really have the same ballistics.

The halftrack MGs have a ridiculous mount and no optics whatsoever.

And besides, a vehicle with suspension is never a stable platform. The tripod on the earh is far more stable. It is the same issue why cranes with wheels don't stand on their wheels while using the crane, they use retractable hard legs.

[ December 20, 2002, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Originally posted by flamingknives:

It's still a wide area - a varience of about 100 fp at close range. Would BFC care to comment?

Close range being closer than 40m, it could have something to do with:

a) LOS (where does the dead space on a tank/vehicle start) - with an HMG you can fire in any direction at 2m distance, with a tank you can not.

B) absence of a crew (if close combat is modelled by the crew of an HMG at very close range)

Originally posted by redwolf:

[QB]The cox MG, yes, it uses the gun sights and it has a pretty decent mount. But the sights are adjusted for the main gun. A 7.62 MG doesn't really have the same ballistics.

QB]

Not correct, You have/had a seperate aiming reticle for Coaxial MG, using the Gunners' Primary Sight. German , American, and British all did. Not sure about Soviet.

My above post only referred to Coaxial use by a tank. Loaders, Commanders, and Half-track pintle mounts are and were notoriously innacurate. Today an M2HB machine gun (.50 Cal) on an M1 tank is accurate to 1850 Meters (tracer burnout). The same MG on a M88 recovery vehicle, or on a truck (both using a free mount) max effective is around 500 Meters. I am not sure about the range on a ground mount with tripod. Coax MG on M1 (M240) 7.62 accurate to around 900M. Loaders M240 on skate ring is pitiful. Maybe 300M. On a good day. With nobody shooting at the Loader.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

The varience is between HMG and LMG versions of the MG42. Therefore, saying that the FP of tank and HT MGs is "between HMG and LMG" doesn't help that much

You can get a pretty good idea to look at the maximum range and then compare it to LMG and HMG's max range.

I agree that it would be a good idea to see vehicle MG fp on the unit info screen. The fact that it is not there may be simply a matter of available real estate - not much space left on that info screen.

I don't really have an issue with the idea that a vehicle mounted MG should have less firepower than an HMG team, though, even if you're talking about a well-mounted, optically sighted coaxial MG.

In addition to the above mentioned issues, there's also the fact that a vehicle mounted MG is fired and serviced by one person. That means one person to sight, load, and fire. An HMG team has a different person for each of these jobs, making things much more efficient.

I know less about this subject, but I imagine that changing a magazine or barrel in a vehicle mounted MG is considerably more difficult than for an infantry MG team that has more space and people to accomplish the job. Since barrel/ammo change is modeled only abstractly as part of firepower in CM, this should have a substantial effect of game fp ratings for vehicle mounted MGs, especially for Soviet vehicles that are by and large using the drum-fed (and therefore in more frequent need of reload) DT 1928 MG.

I am interested in the issues that have been brought up in re tank-mounted vs. HT mounted MGs. It sounds like HT mounted MGs should have a substantially lower fp rating, especially at longer ranges. I have always assumed that all vehicle-mounted MGs were more or less the same (assuming same type of MG). I'd be curious to know if these differences in mount are modeled.

Anyway, interesting stuff.

Cheers,

YD

I am sure all vehicle MGs have the same firepower in CM.

You can check max range for halftracks and ACs and also for coax MGs on the flammpanzers. They are all the same. I assume a flammpanzer coax MG is not modeled differently from a normal tank coax, so I assume they are all the same.

Barrel change in a vehicle MG? Don't think so.