Skipping CMBO Intro Movie

When CMBO was first released, there was a post how to have CM skip the Intro movie and go directly to the main menu. Now some time later, I'm on a new machine and for the life of me, I can't remember what file I renamed to skip that intro and not have to hit the space bar.

I did a search and can't find the original post. Does anyone remember?

No, no folks. I want it to immediately jump to the main menu when CM is started, without touching anything.

I know you can do this. I have two installed copies of CM that do this, but I had made the "fix" two years ago and it escapes me.

It involved renaming a file, but I can't spot the one responsible for it. I think an intro bmp is used and if it is missing, CM will immediately skip the intro and jump to main menu.

There's a note at the bottom of page 7 of the manual that I had to memorize when I was working on the sound of music mod.

"...if you hold down the Shift key while CM starts up you can toggle the movie on/off permanently."

It's not the kind of thing you do very often, so you're unlikely to remember it. When the movie is toggled off, when you launch the program you'll get a black screen for a few seconds, and then the first menu screen will come up.

If you download "Hills are Alive", when you first launch the program you'll start with a black screen but music will play, because I edited out the delay at the start of all the pieces.

Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

I'll be damned. I've been playing CM for 2 years almost and I had no idea it even had an intro movie. What's it like? Is it Steve driving around in his back yard in his Stuart?

It has some flyovers of extremely un-modded battlefields. I think it ends with a PIAT sitting in open ground taking out a Tiger I.

-Sarge

speaking of MAC programs

I hope the new game will not have this same lame “movie” intro . As I run a PC (as most of us do) it is hard to understand why they would choose to start the game with a APPLE program. It gives me trouble every time I have to reinstall this other wise great game.........

I have just renamed the Quicktime demo MOV file to 1000.MOV and

copy it to the MOV folder in the game file to make it easier for re installs.

I can see the reason for having a mac version of this game , but PLEASE don’t make us PC’ers suffer through the lame Quiktime Movie on CMBB

Please

Nick

Thanks. The Shift key works fine, after it completely locked up my computer on the CM load the first time.

I found out that the directory I'm using was transfered from an old PC, but I had updated from a local copy of the latest patch. Somehow, it switched to intro movie again.

Now it appears immediately with a small "click". It was then that I remember I had replaced the explosion wav file for the CM entry to the mouse click effect. I've been through all of this before.

Thanks again. The shift worked. The MOV/1000.mov file was the one I was referring to, but it was getting it from the CD. I was wasting my time looking for it on my hard disk.