CMBB-offical site? better user interface?

is there an offical site for CMBB?

i read in a preview, that the info-panels will be improoved, and go more in the directon of close combat. will the camera controls be improoved too? just look at black&white: with 1 mouse button + mouse wheel you can: rotate, zoom and move the camera.

And if my Cromwell can't help but bounce shots off an Hetzer, can I spank him till it knows better?

I dunno about navigation in game, which might benefit from an a la B&W system, but the interface will be changed and is done by Deanco.

That would be Mr GunMetal.

As for a dedicated CMBB web site, my guesstimate is that once the release date is near, CMHQ will start steamrolling...

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

The first unofficial site devoted to CMBB (and as far as I know, the only one so far) has been running for a year now...that would be GD for CM, in my sig below...

Yup.

The Man of many Sites!

Just so you know, your dedication towards historical research, markings and TOEs is very handy when it comes to MODing.

I was glad more than once to find the divisional info I was looking for to complete a MOD.

Thanks for your work.

Now can I say bad things about the Tigers tomorrow?

Pretty please?

:D

i have the impression, that the mouse-concept is very mac-oriented (one button, no wheel). in CMBO, after you choosed "attack" from the popup menu, it is not even posible to cancel by pressing right-mouse-button. you have to press "x-key".

IMHO there schould be a camera-key (for example "ALT" or "SPACEBAR"). when you hold the camera-key pressed, the mouse is in camera-mode:

- moving the mouse rotates(orbits) the camera

- moving the mouse + holding left button moves(pans) the camera

- moving the mouse + holding right button zooms the camera

when you relase the camera-key you are back to selecting/giving orders.

there schold be more color-coding. when choosing a target, the hit/kill % schould be displayed by colors, and not numbers only. maybe the LOS schould be colred (red=bad shot, yellow=medium, green=good shot) the same(!) colors schould be used for displaying:

- units casaulties

- units experience

- units morale

- units cover (terain, soft/hard building)

- units firepower (against soft and hard tagets)

- comander stats

...and other stuff.

well, this all has already been implemented very good in close combat 2+. the only thing in close combat, that was very good ;).

As a general suggestion I'd say use the hotkeys more, a lot more. Just the other day I saw the popup menu and noticed that it was modded, something I must have done many months ago, I just never noticed since it is never in use when you use the key shortcuts. I get a headache trying to imagine what it is like to plot a 300 meter infantry move using most or all of the run, sneak, walk and crawl commands with the "space"/right click popup.

To move around the map I use the map edges, the on screen zoom buttons and, all the time, the "tab" key to move quickly and exactly to distant, and indeed close units.

--

But, more to the point Sebastian:

You will get a lot more colour in the CM:BB interface. It will be easy piecy and most of those complicated numbers will be represented by colour codes in the unit bar, much like CC.

The LOS and fire lines already carry some information, LOS block and LOS degradation. It would probably not be that hard to implement your ideas, provided you think information of the type you suggest is more important than that already given.

--

I for one am not very attracted to colour coding. It's usually to imprecise and unless it gives the exact information I need, at the moment I need it, it tends to disrupt look of the interface, from a purely esthetic standpoint. CC for example looks distinctly sandbox to me. Which didn't prevent me from playing the 1 and 2 versions to death smile.gif

--

M.

i agree on the hotkeys. my idea with the camera-mode was thought as an addition to the current controls. but there have to be hotkeys too, for top-down-view, selected-unit-first-person, goto-cursor...

numbers or OK. numbers + colors/symbols are better. colors become only distracting, if they are used to make it look more colorfull, without any meaning.

i liked the soilders faces in CC's unit panel. you could see very quickly what is left of the unit. in CMBO, after a quick look, i sometimes dont remember, if there where 11:OK 1:DEAD, or 1:OK 11:DEAD. i only know there wehre some 1's ;)