The 13meg cap SOLVED!

Soldiers,

I don't know if someone figured this out yet, BUT: You can put graphics textures in to the sound effects data files, in RES EDIT! I tried this yesterday, and sure enough- it works! This literally doubles your meg cap.

Originally posted by Lord General MB:

Soldiers,

I don't know if someone figured this out yet, BUT: You can put graphics textures in to the sound effects data files, in RES EDIT! I tried this yesterday, and sure enough- it works! This literally doubles your meg cap.

just to clarify this would be something specific to Mac users who need to use ResEdit to mod files.

There is a 13 meg limit I think that is what this post refers to.

-tom w

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lord General MB:

Soldiers,

just to clarify this would be something specific to Mac users who need to use ResEdit to mod files.

There is a 13 meg limit I think that is what this post refers to.

-tom w</font>

Soldiers,

Quite simply: When CM searches for textures, or sounds, it runs through the data folder- searching the RES Edit files for the textures. I used to think that CM only ran through "graphis" prefixes when looking for textures, and "sounds" when searching for sounds. A quite test proved this was not the case. I removed several key graphics from one of the data files (in this case the roll over menu buttons in the opening), and booted CM. It crashed. I then put these files into "soundeffects 1"and rebooted- lo and behold, CM worked fine. I now use the sound effects files for my winter mods, as they tend to get rather large, when added to my other mod files (and BTW: I, too, have a 15 meg limit, not 13- but this glich is often reffered to as the 13 meg limit....)

I'll clarify a number of points:

Point 1) A resource file has a real limit of 16 megs BUT it can start to get screwy early. So, basically, YMMV.

Point 2) Actually CM doesn't do the searching at all. It loads the resource files in the data folder at launch. Then, the resource manager automatically returns a matching resource (type and number) when asked from the open resource files in the "chain" of resource files. Any resource file that CM loads will be available for graphics OR sounds (or anything else for that matter). That's why moving graphics to the sound files works.