Question about missing bmp's/sounds

Canuck

I gather from some commentary on this forum that because of time restrictions, BTS was unable to release the cd with everything included. I was wondering if I happen to wait for 4 or 5 months (and yes I can do it unlike most of you sorry slobs :D ) before buying the game, will there be a new version of the cd available that will be complete with all the necessary files? I dislike having to download large patches because right now I'm on 56k and I like to have all the files included on the cd, just in case I happen to want to install it again 3 years down the road and dont have the patch anymore.

From the official notices, there are only shared files not missing ones so if I have this thought out correctly, only the appearance of some of the rarer vehicles will be altered by the upcoming patch.

I have not heard of any sound that is missing from the game so that shouldn't be an issue.

There does appear to be some investigation on tweaking a thing or two but I have yet to see a serious bug being mentioned which is something pretty remarkable and refreshing. If the patch is sizeable, maybe someone could burn a cd copy for you and put it in the mail. Weirder things have happened. Mods might even be possible since they are also likely to add even more to the game.

So waiting doesn't really gain you anything but at least you are armed with the correct information to be able to take your decision.

BDH

Actually you'll find several vehicles aren't fully correct in the game. This is true of several of the Axis Minor countries and a few Russian and German vehicles too.

BFC/BTS did run out of time to get everything on (primarily a deadline with CDV among other things) and there's a possibility (though I'm not sure) that these textures may have not fitted on the CD even if they were available. If there is an answer to this particular question, then it may answer whether much later distributions of the CDs that have the requisite patches will also have the textures too (I assume that they should).

I think one of the biggest limitations with fitting additional textures on the CD was winterized versions of AFVs and a couple of other variations on uniforms, etc. So I would assume that newer CD releases with the latest patch will probably have the correct texture to match (it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense otherwise). That or an extra CD will be needed. If that's the case then it may come down to strictly supporting patches via the web rather than releasing them on CD.

A few more vehicles will have the correct model and textures with the first patch. Further patches will correct more vehicles. I don't know if BFC/BTS will consider releasing a list of the vehicles that aren't correct. It probably won't take too long for some of the armor/AFV grogs to notice some incorrect models/textures anyway.

Unless you're really bandwidth limited, I'd suggest getting CMBB now anyway. You'll have to wait 6 or more months to get a distribution with the latest patch. It's a matter of reducing the current inventory before they have another batch manufacturedl. And the batch this time around was much bigger than the CMBO ones.

[ September 22, 2002, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

By and large, most of what is said above is correct.

Due to space and time constraints there are some vehicle units in the game that either use a shared model, shared texture or both.

With regards to sounds I was pretty much able to do all that I had planned. I may slip in some replacement/improved sounds for a few items now and then though in future patches.

We are already working on the v1.01 patch that will update several models and textures and believe it or not there ARE some bugs that slipped through which are getting fixed as well.

We are not ready to release a estimated time for the patch just yet. It really depends on if any new issues are reported in the next week or so.

Sometime later this week I will be posting a list of what we have already worked on with the v1.01 patch though.

I do not know what our plan is for incorporating future patches into the shipping CD's at a later date. If we can fit them I would imagine we will do so down the road once we issue a new CD pressing, if not then subsequent patches will have to be downloaded from the website.

Madmatt

[ September 23, 2002, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]