Pillboxes

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cpl Carrot:

Dumb question alert (maybe)

Is it worth while IYHO to hide pillboxes. The scenario I am currently playing does not allow me to move them so I am wondering if I should give them the HIDE command?

Should probably know better

Cpl Carrot<hr></blockquote>

Not a dumb question. Presumably putting the pillbox on "hide" will prevent the MGs or ATGs from opening up prematurely. You may find this useful if the pillbox or wood MG bunker is nestled in a stand of trees and is relatively well hidden.

I have seen a 3-MG pillbox hold fire until the enemy squad was within 150m. The squad was gone in just under 10 seconds. If the pillbox had opened up at 400m, it likely would have been a prime target for an arty barrage.

If you've got a machine gun pillbox that will is/or will be in the LOS of armour, a hide command may

keep it alive for a couple more turns than otherwise.

Its a special circumstance, but that very strategy worked well for me. With three Churchills hunting

down the road buttoned-up, I kept it hidden till after they were out of LOS. I then opened the mg on

the troops and trucks that were following the tanks- very pleasing results. I lost the pill box several turns later, but I think I achieved more damage and disrupted the opponents assault convoy.

Depending on the situation it may be best to start a game with the pill boxes hidden.

If you are unfortunate enough to have a Pillbox in poor visibility or at night then Hide can be useful to prevent the opponent getting a 'sound contact' on it.

Perhaps it stops the crew giving their position away by the viscious taunting of the opposition, which inevitably occurs when you are behind several feet of concrete and a bloody great gun.

Slightly off thread but about pillboxes.

Would people think IRL that you could knock out a HMG wooden bunker with one Piat round?

When you compare this to a HMG team in a heavy building which would not be knocked out by a single Piat round?

What do people think? Shold CM model that for HMG teams a single round knockout?

H

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Holien:

Slightly off thread but about pillboxes.

Would people think IRL that you could knock out a HMG wooden bunker with one Piat round?

When you compare this to a HMG team in a heavy building which would not be knocked out by a single Piat round?

What do people think? Shold CM model that for HMG teams a single round knockout?

H<hr></blockquote>

It seems (from casual observation) that pillboxes, wood and concrete, are modeled much like stationary Armor.

That being so, there was a thread about the seemingly over-likelihood of crews abandoning their vehicles when a round only penetrates (especially by low cal. rounds).

To answer your question, I don't think a single penetration by a PIAT would make one abandon the rather decent protection of the bunker. Granted I've never been in combat so I couldn't really say, but it seems to me that if I were being fired upon I'd want to be where the cover is, namely inside the bunker (until the arty comes ;) ).

This round-about brings me to a question of my own. How come infantry often try and sprint across the tens of meters they just covered under fire instead of ducking into that house 5 meters in front of them? Especially when just "cautious."

[Edited 'cause my grammar sucks at times.]

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: Cameroon ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cameroon:

To answer your question, I don't think a single penetration by a PIAT would make one abandon the rather decent protection of the bunker. Granted I've never been in combat so I couldn't really say, but it seems to me that if I were being fired upon I'd want to be where the cover is, namely inside the bunker (until the arty comes ;) ).

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: Cameroon ]<hr></blockquote>

Penetration of a bunker by the blast/jet of a chemical energy round or what must be worse still - the warhead coming through the slit and detonating inside the bunker - must be a very unpleasant thing indeed.

Perhaps the reasoning is that if they can hit it once then they can hit it again...

During the battle for Goose Green the Argentine resistance on Darwin Ridge supposedly collapsed after a 66mm LAW hit the Argentine command bunker which caused the occupants to surrender. Significantly though it was apparently quite difficult to get those surrendering to leave their bunkers. 'If you knows of a better hole then go to it'.

Perhaps bunker dwellers should surrender rather than abandon if things are tight?

Well after playing around with the scenario I have come to the following conclusions:

(1) It is not worth hiding a MG Bunker as anything can KO it easily.

(2) It can pay to hide the pillboxes as they are more likely to survive any first shot from a tank.

Note this is when you cannot move them to put them in places where LOS is limited.

Cpl Carrot