Engineers and wire obstacles

To be honest, I find this strange as well. Reducing wire obstacles required nothing more than a good set of wire cutters, and/or wooden mats to lie down on the wire and run over. Engineers who were equipped to reduce minefields would most likely be equipped for wire obstacles, too.

Guys,

I suspect there is a technical (game-engine) difficulty here regarding interaction between wire/roadblock type units and satchel charges. Otherwise making wire and roadblocks destructable with satchel charges would have been a no-brainer.

Chalk it up to another one of those myriad things that couldn't get shoe-horned in.

Ren

I seems to me that it would take a lot longer than a couple minutes to clear a minefield, too. Time goes by real quick for you when you are carefully looking for something (not to mention clearing), but goes by slowly for everyone else. I am not experienced in mineclearing, though.

The wire is a bit more noticable, and one demo should be enough to clear. BTW, the AI is pretty good at placing the wires and minefields in combination, but just wastes its trenches in the 3000+ point QB's that I've played.

Cheers,

-gabe-

It is exceptionally difficult and time consuming to clear wire obstacles, remember these are rolls and rolls of barbed or razor wire.

They can't be removed easily by explosives, as the wire has an annoying tendancy to be blown up into the air and then land again.

This is the reason why so many attacks in WW1 failed so drastically, artillery just can't cut wire affectively enough to clear a path through it!

Engineers would have to be equiped with bangalore torpedoes or similar to cut a path through them.

I believe engineers in CMBO/BB clear minefields using explosives, by blowing one or two safe lanes in the minefield, rather than dealing with each and every mine.

As for wire, I think the wire in CMBB represent fairly significant obstacles, constructed over a wooden frame with a LOT of wire crisscrossing it in a thick web -- difficult to cut through even with explosives, though I would think it would be possible within the scope of a CMBB battle. Perhaps just an engine limitation.

Originally posted by Scipio:

...and artillery can't to the job, too. I think the heavy artillery should be able.

I came across this passage on page 221 of the manual:

Minfields can be reduced or eliminated by shellfire (though this will not be explicitly shown—you just have to judge roughly by how many craters you see, and hope).
I don't know if this is a true statement or is something that was discussed but then left out of the final form of the game, but it's in the book!

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scipio:

...and artillery can't to the job, too. I think the heavy artillery should be able.

Minfields can be reduced or eliminated by shellfire (though this will not be explicitly shown—you just have to judge roughly by how many craters you see, and hope).
I don't know if this is a true statement or is something that was discussed but then left out of the final form of the game, but it's in the book!

Michael</font>

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scipio:

Michael</font>

I have seen engineer squads that were trained, equiped and prepared to reduce wire obstacles do it fairly quickly. Quite large ones too I might add. There are many techniques used to do so.

In order for any obstacle to be effective, it must be covered with direct or indirect fires. Just because of the fact they can be reduced quickly if the breeching attempt is not hindered by fires.

I believe it should be in the scope of CMBB to allow this.