The "One Hundred Minutes" Tournament

Originally posted by Beckman:

Are we almost done with all games? Are all fairly well along? I usually don't like 2 tourneys at once, are we there yet? I just want to see the final and move on.

thanks

I'm afraid that Gpig still has some playing to do until it is finished. The reason I started the next one this soon was that the guys still having games to play will have less heat on them as you guys with most games done have something else to think about.

I'll see this through. No worries lad. If you feel uneasy about the situation just think it as "I get to play and have fun all the time!" instead of "All this gaming I have to do and not even getting the final scores from the first tourney yet"...

I knew this would end up slowly. I hope that you guys can share my patience.

-T

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My remaining three battles are all about to explode in giant pomegranete of splatter effects.

UP till now we've been holding each other at arms length, sneaking in a jab here or there.

My opponents are being extremely nice about my slow turn-around time. smile.gif

Gpig.

Good job in keeping the watch Beckman. I'll mail you links if you get lost (or pick one from my signature) :D .

Good job in getting ahead Gpig. I'm sure that everybody will yield to my original plan of gaming pace. That means that everybody gets to play on their own send rates as some of us DO have busy times in RL...

Remember to post notes, results and comments (no AARs or OOBs though as the lads in FK&C might learn something they don't need to know). I trust that you guys get the games played.

-T

Heh heh.

Hey Beckman! I see you are one of the Axis players in the 100 minutes tourny.

I'm Axis Z, and halfway through my other 3 battles.

Any idea how the allies did throughout this tourny? Seems to me it was a bit of an uphill slog for the boys in the white hats. ;)

How did YOU do?

Gpig

I just remember drawing 50-50 and 3 wins.

I think the record is out there for balance of the scens, that's a HUGE advantage to being last I guess. You know what the results are, I learned it is wise to be last. I am glad to hear you are past turn 3 in the Arch Enemies battle, that was my most recent update.

can't say I wish ya good luck smile.gif )

Ahem,

I can't say that we did not have a heated discussion on the format earlier.

Boyd made his point in wanting a "round" based system where one game had to be finished before the other would start. This would actually eliminate the "spoiling" or "result providing" before each one had played the scenario in question.

My idea (which I use as it is my bloody tourney tongue.gif ) was to provide everybody with enough opponents and scenarios to get the thing going on the pace best suited for them. Even today people do not complain about spoilers or other such things nearly as often as they do cry aloud about people not sending in their turns fast enough. To make things as comfy as possible I decided to give you all a bunch of opponents so that EVERYBODY gets to PLAY at least ONE GAME on the fastest pace they prefer best. While playing such a game the patience towards the slower progressing games tends to build up and instead of waiting for WEEKS before the next round starts each player gets to plan their progress themselves. Some guys have zero games left here. They can move along. Be sure that I'll inform you how things turned out in the end.

I would VERY MUCH like to receive feedback on the format, fairness and overall execution of the tourney. As we are all adults, enjoy the game and are eager to grab the challenge ahead I feel that this whole effort has been worth it. If somebody feels otherwise just let me know. I'll send you a lollipop :D .

-T

Feedback from Gpig;

Format: Great format, perfectly suited for my time contraints and talents.

Fairness: Having not finished ALL the battles, I can't really comment on this except to say that the battles seem a "smidge" unbalanced in favour of the Axis. I'll report back with more on this later. smile.gif

Overall Execution: See "Format" above. smile.gif

Can I get a lollypop anyways?

Thanks for all your work T. I enjoyed/am enjoying all of the scenarios.

Gpig

Originally posted by Gpig:

Feedback from Gpig;

Format: Great format, perfectly suited for my time contraints and talents.

Fairness: Having not finished ALL the battles, I can't really comment on this except to say that the battles seem a "smidge" unbalanced in favour of the Axis. I'll report back with more on this later. smile.gif

Overall Execution: See "Format" above. smile.gif

Can I get a lollypop anyways?

Thanks for all your work T. I enjoyed/am enjoying all of the scenarios.

Gpig

Wow, keep on playing until you got them all under the rug. Scenario unbalance does not affect the results as you know lad ;) .

I have this itch that sending the lollypop might cost more than acquiring one. E-mail your address in any case :D .

Waiting eagerly for the final report. No pressure though. Play, enjoy and write as much/little you like afterwards. Cheers.

-T

Format: Great format, perfectly suited for my time contraints and talents. (yes I took that line from G man) nice size as well, maybe 5 a scen but good.

Fairness: I wish we had the RoW safeguards in place. I would change my starting set-up just because of the risk, albeit slight, of someone peeking. I know no one did but classified is classified smile.gif

Overall Execution: i wish there was at least a deadline date, albeit, can I use that word twice in one post?, a far off one. Taht would at leasat set a tempo. No date is tooo open-ended for moi. But that's just moi.

Can this sucker have a sucker?

PS I REALLY liked the Meeting battle "Halo". The German briefing scared me from Turn 1 on. OOPS wrong tourney lol

Format: Great format, perfectly suited for my time contraints and talents. (yes I took that line from G man) nice size as well, maybe 5 a scen but good.

Being my first I wanted a small bunch of players. I was not short on scenarios though ;) . I picked the Medium ones with reasonable length. Always the best choice.

Fairness: I wish we had the RoW safeguards in place. I would change my starting set-up just because of the risk, albeit slight, of someone peeking. I know no one did but classified is classified smile.gif

I wonder what on earth would a RoW safeguard be? I like to trust people but if it is not any extra trouble I could add that feature to my tourneys in the future.

Overall Execution: i wish there was at least a deadline date, albeit, can I use that word twice in one post?, a far off one. Taht would at leasat set a tempo. No date is tooo open-ended for moi. But that's just moi.

Yes, once again the deadline would have caused bailing in mid tourney and this format does not take it very well. If I should simply trust when people swear that they can play on the set pace that they'll actually manage it in the end it would surely be a grand mess. Nobody expects RL trouble yet next to everybody suffers some...

Can this sucker have a sucker?

PS I REALLY liked the Meeting battle "Halo". The German briefing scared me from Turn 1 on. OOPS wrong tourney lol

That would be "Hallo 2nd Panzer"? I was incredibly lucky in my test run (for once in my life) and scored an allied major. It just left me filled with emptiness as the battle was over before the action actually began :eek: .

-T

The Row safe guard is a system where you get a scen, but the other sides briefing is takin out. When you open the scen and create the file for the other side, it is ALREADY password protected. Thus, when the files are distributed, the passwords for each side are also sent out.

It's great.

WOW, Allied major in Hallo. WOW, excellent. I got lucky though, he got his FO killed early on in the battle smile.gif

The Row safe guard is a system where you get a scen, but the other sides briefing is takin out. When you open the scen and create the file for the other side, it is ALREADY password protected. Thus, when the files are distributed, the passwords for each side are also sent out.

It's great.

WOW, Allied major in Hallo. WOW, excellent. I got lucky though, he got his FO killed early on in the battle smile.gif

Sounds some extra work for me...

How much the RoW guys are gettin' paid :D ???

I simply save them in a tournament format so people can't start a scen from the other side. I.e. the FK&C games won't give an option to start as allied player. You can only play as "axis". Or so I thought...

Never tried to play one as a single player game though...

I'll consider this and prolly ask some help from the RoW organizers if I decide to add security. As a boardgamer I have to trust to my opponets. If I pop in the loo they COULD move the counters. But they don't as they need to win or lose with style. That is the spirit of a wargame. If you cheat and win it does not feel any good. If you have the necessary skill and/or luck to pull it through you are one happy lad ;) .

"Hallo" is about maneuver. If you move into positions where you can concentrate much violence to small enemy occupied territory you get quick results.

-T

Gpig here.

THings moving along nicely with my remaining 3 battles.

Arch Enemies; I've been probed. I got repulsive. Brits are about to rinse and repeat. Half way done.

Mechanized Bushmen; I'll let jyrki tell you about this one. Suffice to say it's a rough day for the Brits. 3 turns to go.

Irae: My opponent is invisible for the most part. Can't seem to get a hold of his sweater for the haymaker. about 5 turns to go-ish.

Fun fun fun!

Gpig

Originally posted by Gpig:

Mechanized Bushmen; I'll let jyrki tell you about this one. Suffice to say it's a rough day for the Brits. 3 turns to go.

Gpig

Thanks for giving me the pleasure :D I've never been crushed, beaten, humiliated or what ever so badly as in this battle. I may have slightly hurt maybe one of his men, and I guess even that was only a scratch :D Me, I have one full squad left...

I'm lucky if I get even 5% of the points :eek:

I feel ashamed :(redface.gif

Another result in Mechanized Bushmen.

Axis Total Victory

95 to 5

(So jyrki DID get the 5% he was hoping for) :D

The Axis side had the favor of Mars throughout the whole battle. There appears to have been a platoon of gremlins hitching a ride with the British side, however. smile.gif

One of my Tank Commanders scored a tally of;

4 inf

1 brit tank

2 brit light tanks

1 halftrack

Another TC tallied;

6 inf

1 gun

1 light tank

1 tank

Still a third tallied;

5 inf

6(!) halftracks

It was a fun battle, but I was starting to feel a little guilty towards the end . . . :(

Thanks, jyrki! smile.gif

Thanks, Trajectory. smile.gif

Gpig

P.S. Two left to go. Irae, and Arch Enemies.

I've got three minutes to go in my Irae battle with B.O.!

It's INTENSE!!

My infantry as swarming. But the next turns are filled with flying question marks!

It looks like it's all coming down to the battle between 4 tanks. Two are his (and they are thick). And two are mine. (You guessed it, they are thin.)

If I lose, my dudes are toast. If I win, surely victory and its sweet, juicy embraces are not far behind!

smile.gif

Gpig