Italian Vehicles

• 6 months later...

nothing racist or anything, but let me point something out, Italian army invaded Africa, failed, Hitler bails them out, invade Russia, fail, Hitler bails em' out, invade Greece, and get kicked out by a puny resistance faction, and Hitler bails Muccilenie or whatever the hell his name is out. Can someone point out that what the problem was for the Italian army at that time?

P.S. I don't mean anything against Italy, just curious.We coo' :cool:

Originally posted by bulletproofest:

nothing racist or anything, but let me point something out, Italian army invaded Africa, failed, Hitler bails them out, invade Russia, fail, Hitler bails em' out, invade Greece, and get kicked out by a puny resistance faction, and Hitler bails Muccilenie or whatever the hell his name is out. Can someone point out that what the problem was for the Italian army at that time?

P.S. I don't mean anything against Italy, just curious.We coo' :cool:

They didn't take to their dictator quite as well as the Germans took to theirs.

I personally think that their hearts weren't into it.

Gyrene

Actually Germany invaded Russia and failed, and then Italy tried to bail them out but that attempt failed too!!

I've seen the L6 - very nice it is too.

I believe the little MG carrier (l.33 or something??) will be in too.

In a nutshell... Well said. Most Italian soldiers didn't give a rat's behind about Ethiopia or Greece.

Detractors of Italian fighting prowess should not forget that one of the world's largest empires - ever - was created by fighting men from that same place.

(I liked the part about the Italians bailing the Germans out in Russia...)

BTW, I am not Italian, not even a fraction. I just think that fair is fair.

Originally posted by Gyrene:

Personally, I think the Italian soldier was perhaps the sanest of the whole war. By and large he had more sense than his leaders anyway.

Michael

The italian secret weapon on the eastern front was the horse .... yes horse vs T-34.

Here there are two scenario descriptions from Talonsoft East Front:

18 july 1942 Krasny Luch, 120km E of Stalino In early 1942 Hitler requested that the Italians expanded their expeditionary force in the Soviet Union and by July Mussolini had nearly 227,000

men serving on the Eastern Front in the Eighth Army. Following the failure of Stalin's spring offensive at Kharkov, on June 28th, the Germans launched their planned attack toward Stalingrad

and into the Caucasus, known as Case Blau. Relegated to a secondary role, the Italians began to move on July 11th, mopping up Russian

rearguards and by-passed units behind the German spearheads.

The Soviet 274th Rifle Division had been badly mauled in the fighting south of Kharkov and was unable to retreat in the face of the German assault. Instead the determined Russian troops

dug-in at Krasny Luch, west of Severdlovsk, and prepared to fightto the death rather than surrender. The task of clearing the

town fell to the Bersaglieri and Cavalry of the Italian 3rd Celere Division.

24 August, 1942 Yagodny, 170km NW of Stalingrad

While summer wore on the Italian 8th Army was beginning to settle into defensive positions along the Don River, north of Stalingrad,

protecting the Axis flank and freeing German divisions for operations at Stalingrad and in the Caucasus. By mid-August the lines were

not fully defended and the Soviets saw their chance. For three days, the Italians withstood attack by hordes of Russian infantry.

On the 24th the 3rd Rapid Division counterattacked between Yagodny

and Chebotarevsky south of the Don River. As the two formations clashed the 47th Bersaglieri Motorcycle Battalion was threatened

with being cut-off and destroyed by elements of the Soviet 812th Rifle Regiment. Colonel Bettoni, commanding the 3rd Savoia Cavalry Regiment, eagerly received instructions to charge the enemy!

While other motorized units struggled to reach the trapped battalion, the cavalrymen began what would become their Final Hurrah. The

last Italian cavalry charge in history!

Brave men without hope who fought to satisfy the ambitions of a small man called Mussolini.

Of 229.000 men sent in Russia, 29.690 were repatriated because wounded or frozen. Of remainder, the survivors were only 114.485. The missing in action were 84.830 men of which 10.030 were returned from the USSR. The total of the losses assembled 74.800 men.

The 8th army on the eastern front:

Infantry Divisions:

Infantry division Cosseria

Semi-Motorized division Pasubio

Infantry division Ravenna

Infantry division Sforzesca

Motorized division Torino

Infantry division Vicenza

Alpine Divisions:

Alpine division Tridentina

Alpine division Julia

Alpine division Cuneense

ritirata.jpg

Guest Panzer Boxb

Yeah, I can't wait to see some of those vehicles with bright red paint jobs and Ferrari symbols on the side! :D

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Potential Italian Player:

Brave men without hope who fought to satisfy the ambitions of a small man called Mussolini.

Mucillienie.</font>

Guest SnarkerII

As to Italian vehicles: BFC requested model pics for the contest, I remember reading Italian equipment will be included. Exactly what only BFC knows.

As to the Italian fighting spirit: I've had contact with Italian vets, as they are relatives. In short, they gave a rat's a$$ about Mussolini and his support of the German Fascist state and the lackluster fighting on their behalf shows that. The Italians had no problem with fighting any way they could to kick the Germans out of Italy. Probably shocked the Germans, LOL.

Incidentally "The History of Fascism" spells out the differences between the German implementation of fascism and the Italian. A good read.

Originally posted by Luftwaffe:

Ummmm, no. I really respect Italians in WW2, troop wise and vehicle wise. Their ligt vehicles along with their anti tank rifles will be a formidable force smile.gif

Yea, right. Tell that again with a square face.

Wherever they went they got a gooood ol' spanking. What did they do in tha Balkans just before Barbarossa? Got a spanking, and the Germans had to go to the rescue, delaying the assault with known consequences...The weather beat Germans in the race to Moscow...