HELP! TCP/IP

para

Hi Guys

My friend and i are trying to play cmbb via tcpi/ip. The thing is it works for one nights game then the next day when we try to connect to finsih the map we can't.

We have tried everything we know to get it to work correctly but it aint happening..anyone with any ideas or suggestions please...

1 same person hosted...me ;)

2 didn't change any settings,well none that i know of.

we keep getting the 'error unable to connect to ip' message.

we have done the 'whatsmy ip.com' thing-opened up ports in network-turned on and off anti-v progs-turned firewalls on and off-it has worked on two occassions only thus far

How do you both hook up to the Internet, cable/DSL or dial-up ? If either of you are on dial-up, your IP address could change each time you connect (dial-in) to the Internet. Are both of you using the same computer each time ?

Can you do a "trace route" to each other or at least one player to the 'server computer' ? In Windows open up a DOS/Command Prompt screen and type in tracert followed by a space and then the IP of the computer you want to reach (for example: tracert 200.50.124.201). This should, slowly, show you all the 'hops' between you and the computer you want to reach (though your packets should actually go 'faster' than what traceroute will show). It's possible that some network/internet providers may turn off the ports that would respond to such requests, so you may get "request timed out" preceeded by asteriks.

Its possible that there is a network problem between you two that prevents consistent connections. Some providers and/or their networks may not be very reliable. I'd suggest using the tracert utility each time you want to connect and see if you can reach the 'server'. For most commercial traffic, the 'route' may not change that much, so writing down each of the hops can give you an idea of who may have subpar performance/reliability.

You should probably turn off as many internet-enabled utilities as possible, especially network security (Norton Internet Security, ZoneAlarm, etc.) or at least provide a 'hole' for CM (basically it's TCP Port 7023). With Windows XP you also have the Windows Firewall and CM needs to be added to the 'exceptions list' in order to communicate.

[ August 15, 2006, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I have the 88 page booklet that came in the dvd case from cdv. Although i have read that the disk contains another book in pdf format so i will be checking that out..aha there is a pdf manual on the disk,i shall print that off.it mentons tcp/ip probs!

[ August 16, 2006, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: para ]

Hmm, not so sure if this helps, but this happened to me and it took me a while to figure it out. I too am behind a router, there are 3 computers running through this router. It is a Netgear, I dont know if this applies to others too. Whenever I start my comp, it gets assigned a number within the network. Problem is, this number is not static, it changes according to when I start it. IE when my comp is the only machine working it is x.x.x.1, normally, when all are working its x.x.x.2 etc. So I have to look up in the router settings more or less each time I try to setup a TCP/IP game to see what devicenumber I got and usually change portforwarding settings accordingly.

Originally posted by Drescher:

Hmm, not so sure if this helps, but this happened to me and it took me a while to figure it out. I too am behind a router, there are 3 computers running through this router. It is a Netgear, I dont know if this applies to others too. Whenever I start my comp, it gets assigned a number within the network. Problem is, this number is not static, it changes according to when I start it. IE when my comp is the only machine working it is x.x.x.1, normally, when all are working its x.x.x.2 etc.

So I have to look up in the router settings more or less each time I try to setup a TCP/IP game to see what devicenumber I got and usually change portforwarding settings accordingly.

There are two pc's running off my router.Can you explain how to do the above please

This is for Netgear RP614:

via webbrowser enter the page of your router(I assume you konw how to get there), then there is one field "Attached devices". When I click on it, it shows which devices are, well, attached. smile.gif

Normally, atleast this is my understanding, the number(the last in the IP adress)should correspond with the slot in which Im plugged into. Anyway, I found out that from time to time(ok i exxagerated a bit in my first post)this changes, and it seems to have sth to do with how many comps are on and which order they went online and were shut down etc.

For example, at the moment my comp is number 3, but when I played CM last time online, it must have been number2, as that is what is entered in the PortForwarding menu.

I believe you could also permanently assign your IP address within the Networking control panel and this could save you the headache of opening the port for the specific IP address. An example would be that your router hands out IP addresses via DHCP in the range of 192.168.0.x. You could assign yourself an IP address of 192.168.0.15 and then update your router's port forwardings to that IP. This is only really necessary if you have more than one computer on the network behind the router. If there is only one computer, typically you'll get the same IP address all the time.

Depending on your router's setup, you could also lock out whatever IP from the DHCP server, so that the IP address you assign will never get assigned to another computer automatically (some DHCP configurations can figure this out by themselves what IP addresses not to assign that are already in use, but not all). Also it may be possible to open the TCP Port to the entire network (for example 192.168.0.0 - which is the 'C' class IP address for the entire network behind the router).