Scenarios for Beginners

Hello all,

My first post. First things first. Just like to say what an excellent game this is.

Now thats off my chest, I`m looking for suggestions which scenarios to play as a beginner. I`ve played through the tutorial, and now I`m looking for my first "proper" scenarios to play. I`ve got the European release of the game, with the extra CD.

Are there any recommended scenarios that come with the game, or any that i can download from the net. I`ve been to www.dragonlair.net/combatmission but there is so may battles and operations to choose I was a bit confused on which ones to try first.

Any suggestions?

Doesn't make any difference. Just pick whatever takes your fancy and learn as you go.

Try to pick the ones that were designed to be played v. the AI. They have good lists at the Scenario Depot (which you are already familiar with).

Then get into human v. human as soon as possible, that's when the real fun starts !

I would start with smaller scenarios. I am not sure which ones made it onto the CD, but there should be a few of mine that fit the bill, e.g. "Trun". These will enable you to control a few units closely and observe their behaviour. You can also learn how to co-ordinate your armour and infantry very easily. Alternatively, go to Der Kessel (link in my sig) and look under Byte Battles™ for more small stuff. Enjoy!

Welcome! After you feel that you have the mechanics of operating the interface down and you've played around with the various units enough to know what they can do, if you then feel you're ready to take a serious approach to learning basic combined arms approaches, there is a set of five or six scenarios named "No rest for the weary" which are to be played sequentially as a "mini-campaign". They are small, short, provide a well-written and consistent story, and utilize a variety of units. You can find the set over at the Scenario Depot

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Welcome Paul. Andreas' battles come highly recommended.

By Andreas. :D

But a couple of us like them too; small ones are indeed the best way to start.

You're just jealous. So, what about them uniforms? have you flustered, eh wot? Bit difficult on your old days to figure it out, wot? Well, I knew I'd show you up eventually. Wasn't even that difficult.

BTW - I would have recommended other small battles, but the only ones I know well enough are Der Kessel Byte Battles™, I just don't play enough.

I hope Dalem kicks your sorry rear all over the map in 'Into the East'. Die-a-lot-now™. Then again, seeing that it is Dalem, you should just romp home. (sit down Seanachai)

Grafenwhor is a great infantry-only learning scenario. Once you're done with that and you want to move on to some combined arms tactics, I would suggest the "Fire & Maneuver" scenario by Bill Hardenberger included on the CD - it's designed specifically as a learning scenario for how to advance a combined arms force into a known AT threat.

I learned a lot for playing it several times and learning what works and what doesn't work.

And welcome to the best waste of time yet invented by human hands.

Cheers,

YD

[Edited because I originally credited the wrong scenario designer - my apologies Bill!! redface.gif ]

[ June 24, 2002, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: YankeeDog ]

Originally posted by Agua:

Welcome! After you feel that you have the mechanics of operating the interface down and you've played around with the various units enough to know what they can do, if you then feel you're ready to take a serious approach to learning basic combined arms approaches, there is a set of five or six scenarios named "No rest for the weary" which are to be played sequentially as a "mini-campaign". They are small, short, provide a well-written and consistent story, and utilize a variety of units. You can find the set over at the Scenario Depot

Hi I'm still a newbie, having only bought the game 4 days ago, so I took this advice, and d/l all 8 of the "No rest for the weary" scenario's. I'm currently battling my way through the first one, and it's great fun as well as helping me find my way around the game. I have to say too, I love modders, they are brilliant and I have d/l a lot, including some sky mods, terrain mods and loads of others, they really enhance the playing of this game. I also might add, I've never been a wargamer, more an RTS gamer, so I play this game with no pre-concieved ideas about war games. Guess that makes it much more fun huh? Oh, and I see I jumped the gun, as the sequel is due out any time, oh well, I guess I will have to say goodbye to another ÂŁ30 then :D

[ June 24, 2002, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: athkatla ]

Welcome Paul. You are in for the treat of your life. I've been playing this fantastic game for going on 2 years now I guess and still play it each and everyday. I also try to visit this forum at least 2 times. Hell, this forum is as much fun as the game to me. I really enjoy the advice, witt, charm :rolleyes: , fights :D and overall chatting. A better forum you will never find thanks to BF ( Battlefront ). They monitor this board keeping out the undesirables and trouble makers although the members here do a pretty good job of that also. :D Anyway welcome and see you around. Oh and one last thing. If you ever see a topic with the word Peng attached to it in any way - don't go there. Stay away. It's ugly in there. And you will surely get hurt. :D

Originally posted by lcm1947:

Welcome Paul. You are in for the treat of your life. I've been playing this fantastic game for going on 2 years now I guess and still play it each and everyday. I also try to visit this forum at least 2 times. Hell, this forum is as much fun as the game to me. I really enjoy the advice, witt, charm :rolleyes: , fights :D and overall chatting. A better forum you will never find thanks to BF ( Battlefront ). They monitor this board keeping out the undesirables and trouble makers although the members here do a pretty good job of that also. :D Anyway welcome and see you around. Oh and one last thing. If you ever see a topic with the word Peng attached to it in any way - don't go there. Stay away. It's ugly in there. And you will surely get hurt. :D

Paul Don't be frightened by the Peng posters, they are all willie woofters, who think long words are cool, and they just hate smilies :D Get in there and give them some stick, but be prepared to take lots more back smile.gif

I say: "Valley of Trouble" (play as the US). It will teach very quickly, just how deadly machine-gun nests can be, and how lethal a well positioned gun emplacement can attrite an armoured force. I suspect that BTS (BFC smile.gif ) didn't pick this scenario fer nuthin when it came to picking a scenario for demo (training) purposes.