From the book German Panzer Tactics in WW2

Panzer Regiment 33, Dated 31 July 1942, pg 42

paragraph 2,1st sentence, "Tanks must advance in a manner that allows the infantry to follow".

I'm no tactics genius, but the way I always played CMBO and from what I have observed of my opponents they never send armor first in front of the infantry.Its always been the other way around,infantry first than armor.Can someone go into more detail about this topic?Is the armor first tactic a product of the time period, 1942?

The tanks were in front of the infantry to protect them in open fields from machine guns, rifles, and lignt artillery, and return fire with machine gun and main gun.

When some anti-tank fire was coming, the infantry was send ahead to mock up the position.

It was the base of nearly every engagement in the East.

Originally posted by Tiger:

It was also German SOP to forbid tanks to operate in built up areas, which category typical "CMBO" maps would fall into.

-john

They loved the wide open spaces, that throughout the war were called 'tank country'. I always read about tanks engaging each other at 1000's yards or more. Boy, not im CM. Seems like all of my tank duels end up at 400 yards and less.

Hopefully, CMBB will portray the reality of the role of armor a litter better. But, do not expect to see me sending in my armor first smile.gif

Chad