Snipers!

Ok...so in CMBO we all know what to do with those left over 11-20 points....what the hell..get a sniper (or a lmg). I remember my snipers getting spotted very easily for the most part. Arent these guys trained in concealment??? And why only 10 rounds of ammo???????? Will CMBB snipers have a longer life due to shoot n scoot? Will they have more than 10 rounds of ammo.......?

Originally posted by scorpius1001:

Will CMBB snipers have a longer life due to shoot n scoot?

In CMBO, if used correctly, snipers don't die.

They sneak, shoot, run out of LOS, and again.

They (sometimes) run out of ammo and exit the map.

I saw elite snipers hidden and unspotted 30m aways from hords of ennemies.

• 4 weeks later...

So, what are the characteristics of the new sharpshooter? I've ordered a "cone of fire" and seen these guys ignore perfect targets of opportunity. Is there a range within which they will not fire? Is there a percentage of visability under which a fire command is ignored? Sharpshooters are virtually impossible to spot now unless you are right on top of them. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just different. I'm just trying to determine the sharpshooters attributes.

Originally posted by John Kelly:

So, what are the characteristics of the new sharpshooter? I've ordered a "cone of fire" and seen these guys ignore perfect targets of opportunity. Is there a range within which they will not fire? Is there a percentage of visability under which a fire command is ignored? Sharpshooters are virtually impossible to spot now unless you are right on top of them. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just different. I'm just trying to determine the sharpshooters attributes.

Sharpshooters seem not to engage at under 100m and tend to do VERY much better at not getting shot if you let the TacAI target. If you set a target line, it is very likely that they will be spotted.

So if you really want to engage only one target, I think a covered arc that encompasses just that target would be the way to go. Or, target with a brief pause before scooting back out of LOS. Depends on the situation I guess.

I am wondering about Sharpshooters chances to hit. I can draw a line of site and get info for a vehicle or an infantry unit (exposure, firepower etc.) but have no idea about a sharpshooters lethality. I do however, employ them mainly as scouts, but would like to learn to use them better.

[ October 17, 2002, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Robohn ]

Cameroon,

I did that at 170-230 meters, he the sniper ignored all the targets except the ones I gave :>

Those which I gave, ran off after first bullet landed..

Peterk,

...from where we get to unimportant targets.

How would it be able to find such important targets if at ~200 meters everything is 'infantry squad'?-)

Originally posted by Fishu:

Cameroon,

I did that at 170-230 meters, he the sniper ignored all the targets except the ones I gave :>

Those which I gave, ran off after first bullet landed..

Peterk,

...from where we get to unimportant targets.

How would it be able to find such important targets if at ~200 meters everything is 'infantry squad'?-)

Well, I don't know why he wasn't engaging. Was LOS poor? In EFOW I've noticed that poor LOS, in which LOS exists but is "just barely there", often adversely affects the targeting ability of units.

As for the telling what's what... well it's funny, the only real good way with EFOW is to have other units closer ID them. Which is gamey since how would the sharp shooter know ;) Of course, really, most units that disappear from LOS (especially for any length of time) should be back to an ID level of nothing, but that's an entirely different topic.