It seems the AI has been enhanced....

I was wondering if anyone had some comments regarding changes to the AI.

I have played a couple quick battles, all infantry, attacking the Soviets while playing first the Hungarians and then the Romanians.

The AI seems to hold its fire now, and waits until you are much closer, thus giving more of an ambush effect. It also seems more aggressive, and times counter attacks better. While playing as the Romanians, I assaulted a light building containing a pinned Soviet recon squad with a regular cavalry squad. I was beating up on them, but then another Soviet squad came running out of a nearby forest, counter-assaulted and killed my guys, then went on to kill my platoon leader who was just running in the building to keep my assaulting squad in command, and thusly secured the VL again.

Perhaps Steve or another BFC person could comment and give us a short list of AI improvements, if any.

Originally posted by Keith:

I have noticed the CM:BB AI uses overwatch tactics when moving its armor forward rather than the mindless mass technique in CM:BO. You will notice that tanks take turns moving forward in bounds.

Yes that was interesting to watch in the Demo scenario on the Steppe. Those German Panzers under AI control moved forward slowly in a leap-frog / overwatch kind of way. THAT was interesting to watch. So if the a threat was spotted the non-moving units would have better aim and accuracy to hit it and would not have to stop then aim. The leap frog armoured advance in the Demo was a joy to behold. GREAT work on the AI I can't wait to get the game and see it in action in the FULL version! smile.gif

-tom w

I also gained the impression that tanks now move in paths recently moved on by friendly infantry. They also avoid some roads which can obviously be mined.

I have yet to see an artillery spotter arrive as the first of his force in SMG range.

I guess somebody worked on that smile.gif

Originally posted by Keith:

I have noticed the CM:BB AI uses overwatch tactics when moving its armor forward rather than the mindless mass technique in CM:BO. You will notice that tanks take turns moving forward in bounds.

IMHO they did so already in CMBO, I tend to see at least 1-2 tanks stopping to perform overwatch, and usually they'll expose lesser AFV for that role. I haven't played CMBB yet so I can't comment.

Originally posted by Commissar:

The TacAI still makes goofy mistakes every now and then like exposing his tank's rear to my ISU-152 or SU-100.

Other than that, it does indeed seem better a little bit.

You are talking about the TacAI or the programmed opponent (aka strategic AI, computer opponent) here?

Originally posted by redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Commissar:

The TacAI still makes goofy mistakes every now and then like exposing his tank's rear to my ISU-152 or SU-100.

Other than that, it does indeed seem better a little bit.

You are talking about the TacAI or the programmed opponent (aka strategic AI, computer opponent) here?</font>

It defends alot better than in BO, it even counterattcks at good moments! But, on attack, it still channels too much...nothing like seeing an entire battalion in 20 meters of ground..All in all..it plays a smarter game, but it's hard to tell where improved weapon modeling picks up and where AI leaves off...So, better play in general in BB..I've never been in battle beofre, but- this 'feels' right.

[ September 25, 2002, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: mch ]