Nvidia FX 5900 : Recommended for CM ??

Monty

The 5600 dont perform well with CM, i have read several threads about it.

Thats why i ask if there are performance or other problems with CM.

The 5900 has a steep price, so i like to know if its worth the extra $ ( i now am a satisfied Geforce 4 Ti4400 owner )

Monty

Originally posted by TufenHuden:

I want to get a Gainward-5900-1200-ultra-at about

$350.00 and some change,but I own a Gainward-4400

is there a big performance jump from the 4400 to

the 5900-128-mb vers :confused: :D ....

I like gainward a lot - especially their gold sample cards since they have something other than the straight nvidia cooling on them and guarantees to run overclocked no problem

i gotta say though that unless you've got 350 burning a hole in your pocket you're not likely to see a huge performance increase - you definitely don't need it in order to play CM - and if you're making this upgrade for the sake of the next gen of games (HL2 and/or D3) i'd wait till the games come out and see what's available then - worse case scenario, the 5900 will be cheaper once the next rev from nvidia and ATI comes out

Well not only for CM-but for Dark age of Camelot,

like everquest but way better graphics and funner to play.....there are 3-5900 type cards :eek:

5900-ultra-128-mb-1200-the 1300 with 256-mb,and they take up one slot/then the big 5900-ultra with

the vaccumm fan/256mb-takes up 2 slots-wwwooowww

:eek: :eek: I want the 5900-1300-256 one :D ..

I have a FX 5600 Ultra (got it a few weeks ago) and it works fine with CMBO, CMBB and CMAK. Got it for 230 bucks at CompUSA and it had a mail-in 30 buck rebate.

The performance on the 5200 is not very good though so if you are going for a FX card I would suggest a 5600 Ultra or a 5900 Ultra (if money is no option).

Two issues to consider. There are actually two versions of 5600 Ultras.

#1 The new ones uses a flip chip GPU and are clocked at a higher 400mhz GPU and 800mhz on the memory. The older boards only run at 350/700. Most of the 5600 ultras are the newer, fast Rev. 2 version. Just make sure of the chip and memory speed before you buy.

The second issue is that a GF5900 ultra with only 128 megs of memory is due out very soon and should be a good buy. It's a pretty well established fact that you don't gain anything with a 256 meg card over a 128 meg card, other than a steeper price.

Madmatt

[ September 13, 2003, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

It would seem to me that your best bet is to stick with an Nvidia card that can run 30.82 and can handle lower than 8X AGP. Isn't this where the driver issues come into play? Minimizing CM to get the text back, no anti-aliasing capabilities? If you play other games and are not dedicated to CM than I can see getting the FX card but until Nvidia can releases a driver that has no problems with anti-aliasing and displays the text without having to minimize the CM application first then I am going to stick with my Ti4600 4x Chaintech. I can certainly afford any of the newer Nvidia cards right now but why bother when all I'll have is problems with CM?

Can you tell that I'm dedicated to Combat Mission?

Umm...I'am new here so just wanted to get that out of the way....getting older and the fps genres are are also getting old....so I just bought this game....seems pretty good, I like how it is based off a different system than die, ah fuzy logic isn't it called right?...well whatever makes the expeierence a little less predictable or less like a game of rock-paper-scissors.

Ahhh those cards you fellas are talking about...the fx5200....I owned this card for about a week before returning it...it is a dog...not that it is a bad card for the price but it is the equilivent of the mx4 series with "very" minimal performance gains despite all the fluff that is printed on it's box...and as I understand it is the replacement for the mx series, I have a Visiontek GF4Ti4400...and it has been a very good card but I decided to upgrade to a faster card for the forementioned fps I use to play, so I went out and bought a PNY FX5600 Ultra, it has a 256bit memmory bus with 128mb ram.....and guess what?, my ti4400 eats it for lunch in bench mark test, granted it does have some new features and capabilities, it is according to the manufactures specification runs at a faster clock speed 400mhz versus that of the ti4400 which is 325mhz, but yet when it comes down to pure rendering speed and stability the old gf4 out performs it.....that may soon change....the nv30? chipset is new and with time new detonators should be able to pull more out of the fx series cards or so I expect this to be the case.

bottom line for me is this - i bought the new nvidia 5900 for one reason - to play the next generation of FPS games (HL2 and D3) - based on recent articles testing nvidia vs ati cards (i'm talking the high end stuff - i.e. 5900ultra vs 9800pro) the ati card is laying down the smack so hard that i returned my 5900 and got the 9800pro

yeah i'll lose fog, but frankly i don't play that many scenarious using fog - the vast majority don't have it - and since smoke is going to behave like dust in CMAK that means i don't have to worry about it when the next CM game releases

i don't buy high end vid cards to play CM - to be blunt about it, no one does - it's just not a requirement of the game

but if you plan on playing any fps games in the future, they'll all be based off of two game engines - HL2 and D3

take it from someone who HATES giving money to ati - i bought ati - you know why? because i'm not a fanboy of either side - i like the competition and reward the winner with my money

right now, that's ati

and it's not even a close competition right now

nvidia better do something really really spectacular with their NV40 release - because even their latest 50 series drivers have been tested and been shown wanting both in terms of speed and most particularly in IQ

dims the graphics card facts as i see them right now