Quick Question on Meeting Engagment

i'm in a meeting engagement with two large flags as objectives, but on top of it i am supposed to exit my unit for points. so i'm curious, should i try to take and hold the flags? or leave em for the enemy and just exit my troops offmap? is it worth taking losses to capture and hold the flags for points or do i get more points for escaping unscathed??

LD,

Large flags are worth 300 points and small flags are worth 100 points. For every eligible unit you exit, you get the point value. For every eligible unit your opponent destroys, you lose the point value and your opponent gains the point value.

Now you need to do the math to get your answer.

In "exit the map" scenarios, your units are worth a lot. I'd suggest not to bother with small flags at all in your situation (except you can control them with something very cheap, say 20 points), and only go for the large ones if you expect to be able to hold them with a force of less than 60-80 points.

Of course, this only applies if you can get those units off map. If you don't think they will make it, it's obviously better to have them control a flag at the end.

Dschugaschwili

ok,

thanks, always wondered what the best course of action was. i'm holding one flag right now, but my opponent is really pushing for it, bringing up reinforcements etc. the other half of the board i've scratched the flag and am just making a run for it. we'll see how the score turns out. oh and ST, hi! haven't talke to you since i was eliminated! thanks for the cryptic answer that took way too much brain power for me to think about in the heat of an assault.

:D

[ May 08, 2002, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Lord Dragon ]

Hi all,

I´ve been playing meeting engagements lately, and I think that the flags are mostly irrelevant.

If you can hold/get them with some cheap unit - fine. But to loose 400 points to get a flag is stupid .

Instead ignore the flags and concentrate on killing your enemys units. If he looses enough you get the flags automatically.

Flag rushing sucks. YOu get killed.

The thforums tactics section (see my signature) has an article about various tactical aspects of the CMBO scoring system, you might want to check it out.

Especially if you have an exit scenario, the exit values need very careful consideration to come out as a winner in the CMBO score sense.

And I agree, most scenarios, both designed scenarios and computer-generated quickbattle MEs have too few flags, there is a very string emphasis on knockout points. In fact too much for my liing. I am available as a "consultant" for scenario designers to review the points situation in a given scenario and give examples of outcomes. The few times designers used this service they were surprised about the weight of the knockout points in scenarios they intened to be driven both by flags and knockout points.