What are the best infantary squads?

I doubt anyone has played enough to have a comprehensive knowledge, I would load up the editor, drop in a platoon of each type, go into preview mode, and compare their statistics for firepower, firepower decrease over range, ammo capacity, men per squad, et cetera.

"Best" invites the question "best for what." I assume by "best" you mean highest firepower, i.e. best at killing other infantry, so it's probably going to be some kind of SMG or assault formation, something like the old sturmkompanie in CMBO, which had 13 men per squad and great firepower even at range.

Well, since the SMG versus rifle versus LMG tradeoff has been entirely redone since CMBO I would be surprised if anyone had any specific info.

In any case, there will be no simple answer to the question as there was for CMBO.

In CMBO the SMG squads (with some LMGs thrown in) had a substancial advantage.

In CMBB you will get a decisive advantage out of a certain squad if you use it where its strength lies, which means you want to close the distance, or you want to keep folks away (to be blown up by by 150-152mm direct fire the next turn), or you might want to have allrounders.

The only thing which can keep us from that is that the new ammo system (less for automatic folks) is screwup up in some way, but that would be easy to fix if we come up with convincing reports.

For some purposes I like the Russian Recon C squad. It has 11 men: 9 Mosins, 1 SVT, and one PPSh, and carries an ammo of 63(!).

These guys seem to work well as a range of about 200 meters, and the new suppression model (plus the 10 rifles in the squad) means that the squad will do a decent job stopping an attacker. Plus, the 63 ammo means that they can take long range shots all day.

Add a Maxim or two for support of your front line, and maybe some SMG squads (9xPPSh, 450 firepower at 40 meters) located maybe 30 meters behind your riflemen (if possible, in a location where the enemy won't get LOS to the SMGers until they've overrun the rifleman position, and you'll have a decent defense.

I like using the Recon C squads as well. However they don't make up the main body of my infantry force. I find they do there job quite well. Problem is I see is they lack the firepower for sustained fighting(i.e. no LMGs). They seem to move quickly though and are great for scouting positions.