Scenarios based on your local neighborhoods.

I plan on doing a scenario based on my surrounding neighborhood. Ironically I live in an area about 800m x 800m called Buena Vista, which would make a great name for the scenario I think. smile.gif It would even include a church. Might extend the board to 1000m x 1000m just to give some place where the combatants can come from. Just wish I had some topo maps of this area. But if I play around with the editor enough and check the 3D terrain as I go, I could probably come close to what it looks like.

The scenario would be kinda like a fight for a village. Should be interesting. I'll let you know how it comes once I start playing with the editor.

------------------

"I for one, am pretty damn close to Genius"--Ol' Blood & Maximus

Hi Maximus,

If you need a topographic map of anywhere in the US, I found a site a few months ago, called the topozone. It has every USGS topographic map from 1:100,000 to 1:25,000 for free online. Check it out.

www.topozone.com

[Edit to open in new window.]

[This message has been edited by Miles Teg (edited 06-18-2000).]

Miles: I second Blackhorse's thanks to you for that link. Another great hunting resource as well!

In one of my old DOS favorites, Empire Deluxe, I made a decent scale map of the Great Lakes area for a hypothetical Soviet invasion (y'know, from their Canadian client state- long story). Then the Red Army rolled up Michigan and I got to crush all my friends' and family's houses. Huge naval shootout on Lake Huron. Fun stuff.

AWESOME!!! Thanx a lot Miles!

Wanna see where I plan on doing my scenario?

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=37.7377&lon=-88.5751&s=25&size=s

NOTE: That map is at least 15-20 years old. wink.giffrown.gif

Could make an interesting little battle, don't you think? Probably make it larger than I thought I would to include the hilly area to the southwest there. The little horse-shoe road (that's my neighbor hood) could be a village that is contested. I'll probably do at least a fall, and winter version as well.

EDIT: Well, looks like my scenario will be about 1500m x 1500m. I'll exaggerate the elevations from feet to meters. Guys this should be awesome. I can already see it now. biggrin.gif As that King Tiger blows the piss out of my neighbor's house. tongue.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 06-18-2000).]

Thanks for the TopoZone link.

But I dunno if my "neighborhood" would make good scenario fodder. I live out in the sticks so it would be my house surrounded by acres of mostly impenetrably steep gulleys tangled with woods and briars. And the nearest neighbors are in a trailer park, which I doubt there is a building type for wink.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

Well, you could use the "kitchen sink" unit under a tree for a trailer. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

I can't wait to get the game to start working on my neighborhood scenario. Actually the more I look at it, it could easily be a operation. smile.gif Since this area is a little bigger than I thought, I could see making it into an operation. I said above that it'll be 1500m x 1500m. I just drew out some boundaries on the map and it looks like it'll be more like 1400 x 1400. Could come out something like VoT but twice as big with lots more houses. There's only about 60 feet elevation change between any certain spot so, who knows. I plan to duplicate terrain type as much as possible, so I can say, "Hey neighbor, look what I did using this game's editor."

------------------

Why is it I keep thinking the CIA or the FBI might be wanting to read this thread and check out that topo map of Maximuses' home area?

I don't know ?

I think there is something bordering on questionable, to not only want to plan a battle around your home neighboorhood, but ALSO post your idea's about it here?

just curious that's all?

why does the term security risk keep coming to mind...

smile.gif

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live on a wooded, 800' high hill, complete with church at the top (highest point in the county). You can see the whole damn city up here, and on my drive to work, I can imagine arty batteries lined up in the woods to my left, with pristine lines of site. (I could blast my ex-wifes house from up here).

Thanks to Miles, Ill have the map made up much easier than I anticipated. And terrain is so interesting, Ill probably just upload the map for others to tinker with.

Thanks Miles.

------------------

As I walk through the Valley of Death, I will fear nothing, for I am the meanest mother*#*#** in the valley. (George S. Patton)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Why is it I keep thinking the CIA or the FBI might be wanting to read this thread and check out that topo map of Maximuses' home area?

I don't know ?

I think there is something bordering on questionable, to not only want to plan a battle around your home neighboorhood, but ALSO post your idea's about it here?

just curious that's all?

why does the term security risk keep coming to mind...

smile.gif

-tom w

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well tom, if you must know. I just posted the url to show how close that that site could go. My little neighborhood (the area where the little road goes around) is just 200 by 300 meters. Hell, when I design my scenario, I'm gonna call down at least a 155mm arty barage on my own house.

------------------

Is there a building in CM to represent the 7-eleven?

"looks as if the Jerries have set up their command post in JC Penny's. We'll have to go in through the food court men!"

------------------

"It's a hardball world son. We've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over."

LOL Danno!!

I live in a really old neighborhood that has just about everything! It has several open fields a forest area with a small lake and lots of houses and roads. It should be a really fun scenario!

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

Mine will have a church in it. It's the one I go to actually. It's actually walking distance from the house. No, it's not one of those little community churches, it draws from all over the region, since we're down to like 3 priests for the entire region. I just happen to live near it out of pure coincidence. You'll see when I design my scenario. It'll be called Buena Vista as you might imagine. It'll probably be a village defense mission or maybe a meeting engagement. Don't know yet.

I'm thinking about giving the elevations a 2:1 ratio to make the map more hilly than it is. Got my map printed out and I need to draw a grid on it in 50m square blocks. The tiles in CM are 20m square, right?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

I made a decent scale map of the Great Lakes area for a hypothetical Soviet invasion (y'know, from their Canadian client state- long story). Then the Red Army rolled up Michigan and I got to crush all my friends' and family's houses. Huge naval shootout on Lake Huron. Fun stuff.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I object to that!

mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

I made a decent scale map of the Great Lakes area for a hypothetical Soviet invasion (y'know, from their Canadian client state- long story). Then the Red Army rolled up Michigan and I got to crush all my friends' and family's houses. Huge naval shootout on Lake Huron. Fun stuff.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I object to that!

mad.gif

OK, second try:

We did win the war of 1812 and burned down the White House, so maybe there was a grain of truth in your scenario...

tongue.gif

The New Jersey village where I grew up is nestled in a shallow, narrow valley whose southern heights command the easiest route between New York and Philadelphia. George Washington actually used this area as his southernmost outpost to check any British movements while the bulk of his Army wintered in the hills of Morristown. (This being Jersey, all that is left to commemorate this is a rusty flagpole in an overgrown clearing.)

Either way, I am sure the heights, and therefore the valley would still hold tactical value, so a battle there would be fun. I plan to do the map in “WW2” style, no pesky subdivisions, just fields, orchards, woods, farmhouses, and a few buildings surrounding the key intersection. Then maybe I will ask someone with real scenario building experience, of which I have none, to build a challenging battle for the village. He just has to include a flamethrower so I can torch that bully’s house around the corner.