Is it my imagination

Guest aaronb

IIRC, coaxial guns stop firing when you get a Gun Hit, since they share a lot of the main gun mechanisms. Bow-mounted or AA-mounted MG's can continue to fire.

One thing I *hate* about Gun hits is that the tank then continues on its merry way as if nothing had happened, continuing to execute its "Hunt" or other orders--and usually that means getting closer and closer to the enemy that just knocked out the gun and is working on knocking the rest of the vehicle out!

I'd really prefer to see the vehicle pop smoke and reverse, or take some sort of action since it's basically declawed after this. Continuing to blunder deeper into the enemy's lines isn't the best thing to do at this point.

Dar

Guest Scott Clinton

I want to second what Dar said. I have lost two tanks in two scenarios from this 'hunting without a gun' phenomena. frown.gif

Maybe if a gun is hit the tank should "PANIC" for a short while. This seems like it may be a quick and 'easy' fix.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

I'd like to see an immediate stop order take hold after a gun hit is made. I think it would realistically recreate the jamming on the brakes that's sure to happen whenever a tank crew experiences a hit that causes the loss of a gun. The hit's bound to be loud and disruptive. Stopping would at least give the crew a chance to change their undies. Going from stop into a defensive posture seems very logical to me. Only a foolish tank commander would continue the fight.

I've played a lot of DYO armor battles and have to say that I haven't seen an inordinate amount of gun hits in relation to the number of shots received. The gun certainly is prominent so it's not surprising to see damage often enough.

Would a crew neccesarily even know that it's gun has been damaged beyond use immediately upon impact? This may account for it continuing to carry out its orders for the rest of the turn.

Ghost

Guest Scott Clinton

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'd like to see an immediate stop order take hold after a gun hit is made.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

eek.gif NOT ME! eek.gifsmile.gif

If you are hit and you lose your gun then you are under fire from enemy AT weapons. Stopping after you have lost your main weapon while in line of fire is the LAST thing they should do.

I was thinking more along the lines of a retreat/withdraw move.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 06-30-2000).]

>>If you are hit and you lose your gun then you are under fire from enemy AT weapons. Stopping after you have lost your main weapon while in line of fire is the LAST thing they should do.<<

Agreed. But a green crew would do just that. Deer in headlights time! Maybe some sort of randomized reaction would be called for to take in account for the experience of the crew and the degree of severity of the hit in question....just a thought.

Guest Imperator

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Only a foolish tank commander would continue the fight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you assume the TC is still alive? biggrin.gif

I always make a point of using my MGs on tanks until they button up one way or another.

Guest Michael emrys

"I always make a point of using my MGs on tanks until they button up one way or another."

Me too. Then I bring in a tank-killer team on their flank. biggrin.gif

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

Does it seem like GUn hits happen a little too often? I have probabaly played a dozen scenarios with armor, and I would guess that vehicles have gotten gun hits in about 2/3rds of them.

Jeff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've noticed quite a few gun hits as well. Do these include secondary hits on sights, turret rings, etc? Can't think of anything else that would make them happen so often.

Is there anything more frustrating than a gun hit (when it happens to you, of course)? In one Quickgame I had a Panther reduced to a mobile MG unit at the worst possible time. In the same game a Mark IV scored a gun hit on a Jumbo Sherman, then proceeded to chase it a ways before knocking it out from behind.

I remember reading about a british tank destroyer commander who had taken out several Panther A's by aiming for the 3-4" high shot trap on the gun mantle. It may be easier to aim to disable than we assume.

I would like to know if the crew doesn't realize that the barrel is damaged what happens when they fire a shot?

Guest Scott Clinton

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I would like to know if the crew doesn't realize that the barrel is damaged what happens when they fire a shot?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, they figure it out REAL fast! wink.gif

I don't know. If the last few inches was just sheared away the gunner would prob. notice when his rounds were hitting 50m off target. If the barrel was bent, I would expect the gun to explode. Whether this would have any effect on a buttoned up crew, I have no idea (but I doubt it, unless it somehow blew out the breach).

------------------

If the barrel was bent due to a gun hit and the gunner triggered the weapon to fire, we'd need a new graphical representation of a tank exploding with the turret flipping over in the air. smile.gif

Gun hits 'appear' to happen a lot more at closer range than at longer range. Guess when you're facing another tank at 50 meters, you tend to get the choice shots. Whereas popping another tank at 1500 meters, any hit whatsoever is a good one! I have no proof to back up my views of the game mechanics. But after playing a whole lot of combat mission it seems to be geared that way.

This would work agains a computer player, er ..maybe and not against a human player, but wouldn't it be nice if one could abandon a tank on order.. to save it?? (worse case scenario) I mean to recover it after the battle in a operation battle? -does this make sence, playing dead?

I had a Mark IV and it got a gun hit.. it was on its way to back up behind some trees for cover and a sherman poped it like a zit..now assuming the computer would not target abandoned tanks that would have saved my Panzer. I usually take pot shots at abandoned vehicles and tanks on the field when the battle is not so hot just to make sure the suckers don't come back.. =)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mensch:

This would work agains a computer player, er ..maybe and not against a human player, but wouldn't it be nice if one could abandon a tank on order.. to save it?? (worse case scenario) I mean to recover it after the battle in a operation battle? -does this make sence, playing dead?

I had a Mark IV and it got a gun hit.. it was on its way to back up behind some trees for cover and a sherman poped it like a zit..now assuming the computer would not target abandoned tanks that would have saved my Panzer. I usually take pot shots at abandoned vehicles and tanks on the field when the battle is not so hot just to make sure the suckers don't come back.. =)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Given the raging woody that the TacAI seems to have for dismounted vehicle crews, I'm not sure this would help. smile.gif

------------------

-Doug

Given the raging woody that the TacAI seems to have for dismounted vehicle crews, I'm not sure this would help. smile.gif

------------------

-Doug

Brother you aint just whistling dixie!

Actually i was thinking about this lately, because sometimes the ai doesn't show off this woody, I wonder if the designers maybe added this to simulate some kind of need for vengeance of the victorious tank crew? I mean your in a dinky little sherman, and you manage to pop a panther after it craps all over your buddy from back home in the tank next to you, Are you gonna tell me you wouldn't have a major woody for the panther crew wink.gif LOL regardless though it does happen too much...