CMBB: grid overlay option?

Originally posted by Schoerner:

I'm wondering if CMBB will have a grid overlay option.

AHHHHHHG! Not the grid overlay question.

smile.gif

Repeat after me: Grids are unnatural, grids are the enemy. Grids should only be produced by modders after long hours fiddling with terrain tiles. Oh, and if you must have them, grids should be hexagonal! :D

BTW what ever happen to the grid war threads, the topic has been quiet for ages?

Grids also help one judge the way that the terrain rolls and dips better. In real life things like shadows would assist in this regard, but these don't exist in the virtual world of CM. Therefore, as close as CM comes to simulating real life, it can sometimes use a little assist at times. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sailor Malan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Schoerner:

I'm wondering if CMBB will have a grid overlay option.

AHHHHHHG! Not the grid overlay question.

smile.gif

Repeat after me: Grids are unnatural, grids are the enemy. Grids should only be produced by modders after long hours fiddling with terrain tiles. Oh, and if you must have them, grids should be hexagonal! :D

BTW what ever happen to the grid war threads, the topic has been quiet for ages?</font>

I made a number of grid sets based on DD's grass and snow and Gunnergoz's (sp?) stuff.

I received permission from DD to post his terrains with grid, but I was never able to successfully contact Gunnergoz via this forum or a number of email addresses given to me.

I can crank out a new 20x20 meter or 10x10 meter terrain with a grid in about 10 minutes. I work for an imaging software company so I wrote some macros to automate the entire process.

If CMBB's terrain tiles are as easily accessible, I will be able to crank out grid terrain for them to any that want them.

I haven't posted any of them yet because I got sucked away from CMBO by real life for a while.

I even exchanged emails with (I forget the name) one of the CMMOS guys about including the terrains, but I let this fall through the cracks.

The only problem with the 20x20m grid is that there it some slight mis-registration between tiles under certain circumstances. I was never able to fully correct this and I suspect it is due to how CMBO places the tiles and tries to "blend" them together.

Anyway, grid terrains are easy to make and I will be happy to experiment once CMBB is released. If you are interested in seeing the results of this work, drop me a line.

Sgian Dubh

I'd love a copy of gridded clear terrain for Tom's Bulge snow mod, if you woudn't mind. The mod is absolutely wonderful, but (as I stated above) there are no shadows to show ripples and dips in the clear terrain. (With snow tiles it's even harder to detect than with grass tiles.)

Of course, that's if Tom doesn't mind... smile.gif

Please send me an email and I will see about getting the terrain tiles to you. The files are rather large, so I will have to set them up on an FTP server and you will have to get them.

I will only make available DD's terrain with Grids because he is the only person who has granted me permission to distribute.

If someone wants to put me in touch with Tom, I will be happy to ask permission to make a grid version of the bulge terrain tiles.

Sgian Dubh (scottb@image1.com)