How hard would it be to make CM2 work with West Front?

I've been reading about the East Front. All the German units used in CMBO for the West Front seem to have been there, and in fact many of them seem to have been used more in the East.

How hard would it be for BTS to upgrade the CMBO units to work with the new game engine? If the research on the physics models has already been done, it would seem fairly easy to update them to work with the better graphics and move options in CM2. Also, we have a tremendous number of excellent hi-res mods for the units in CMBO, so the art work load would seem to be minimal.

I'm not suggesting that BTS create a whole new West Front game from scratch. I just want to be able to create West Front battles using units that work with the new CM2 game.

If West Front units compatible with CM2 were available, we have a lot of creative and dedicated people who would use the new tools to make better West Front maps and battles. Hopefully most German units could be used as is since they will be in CM2, but Western allied units and localized German units would need to be upgraded to work with the improvements in CM2.

I believe the whole Western Front game could be revitalized fairly easily to give us both East and West at the same updated game level. That way, the Western Front game would not be abandoned simply because the hot new game features were all in CMBB for the East Front.

There is so much left to do on the West Front. I am just getting to the point of making maps. I would sure love to have the new tools and compatible units available.

This could also be a new revenue opportunity for BTS at minimal new cost. Making a CMBO update pack that could be downloaded for a fee would be welcome to me. This game is two years old. The basics are still the best around, but a technical update would be a great addition to keep the game fresh and alive while future BTS Combat Mission projects develop.

Imagine an East and West Front Combat Mission to keep us all going for the next two years. I've spent a lot of time and money learning about the West Front. I don't want to lose that by becoming fixated only on the East front.

Anybody got a take on how hard it would be to make the West Front compatible with the new stuff in CM2? Otherwise, I fear everyone will migrate to the East Front just for the new stuff.

[ February 07, 2002, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Lawyer ]

The emphatic negative response at the mere mention of it from BTS leads me to believe that the effort is something greater than the one might think. There is a master plan us little people are not allowed to be part of but I have faith that someday, there will be a happy result to this dream. I may not make it to see that day but think of me on that day.

Or they could just be messing with you.

BDH

IIRC, BTS has said that they would like to return to the Western fron someday, just not in the near future.

I think that this is the progression of theatres and games planned right now. Some of it is probably incorrect though

CM - Western front

CMBB - Eastern front

--------------------

Engine rewrite

CM2 - Mediteranean (Italy/North Africa)

CM3 - Early war

CM4 - Return to western front?

Originally posted by Lawyer:

I believe the whole Western Front game could be revitalized fairly easily to give us both East and West at the same updated game level.

I've spent a lot of time and money learning about the West Front. I don't want to lose that by becoming fixated only on the East front.

Anybody got a take on how hard it would be to make the West Front compatible with the new stuff in CM2? Otherwise, I fear everyone will migrate to the East Front just for the new stuff.

A) It will be months and months of work. Every second of which will be spend on not creating the next generation of CM.

B) When god created man he gave him the power to make choices.

C) If people leave the west because of all the fun stuff I'd say they weren't that interested in the west in the first place.

You make it sound like some kind of mystical force smile.gif

M.

Originally posted by Mattias:

A) It will be months and months of work. Every second of which will be spend on not creating the next generation of CM.

Yeah, but after CMBB it'll be practically perfect, so how much time would they really need to create the next version? :D

I couldn't resist. smile.gif

Instead of dedicating an entire game to the early war why not just expand the time frame and cover the ETO in one fell swoop.

CMBB is taking the East Front from beginning to end why not do it with Europe? With this whole region thing that is gonna be going on in CMBB why not? A good bit of the research would already be in the bag and everyone would get what they want.

Ultimately I'd love to see Combat Mission World War with all of it in one. That would be nice for the third engine. That is if any of us are still kicking by then.

Hello

CMBB features available for the western front ... there are so many maps I would love to make using the new features! Doo Dads alone would make a great addition.... and then there are the trenchs. I could even re-create Ortona.

Great! Now you've go me dreaming about CMBB and an upgraded CMBO.