need help! (modding grafiks)

Hi there,

when the CMBB Demo came out the first i did (after playing of course for some hours) was doing a changed grafik for the pak36, cause i wanted it be grey ;) . Ok after some minutes i put it in the bmp folder, just to test how it looks ingame (to dark, details visible ...) and i saw something realy CRUEL, it looks BAD realy BAD ingame :( . Thinked about and figured out that maybe CMBB scalls 24bit down to 16bit. So what can i acctualy do that it looks good ;) ?

ingame pics :

ingame-preview1.jpg

ingame-preview2.jpg

ingame-preview3.jpg

and in photoshop:

texture-in-PS.jpg

maybe someone can help me, thanks in advnace !

Greetings

Jean-Pierre

[ September 27, 2002, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: JPSeiler ]

Aren't there two versions of the 36 (sic) - one dark yellow and one grey?

You need to select an early war date in order to get the grey one. If you mod part of the dark yellow one, you will get the results you got....

Try restoring the default bmps, then change the date in the scenario editor to 1941 and see what your PaK 36 looks like then.

[ September 27, 2002, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Aren't there two versions of the 36 (sic) - one dark yellow and one grey?

You need to select an early war date in order to get the grey one. If you mod part of the dark yellow one, you will get the results you got....

Try restoring the default bmps, then change the date in the scenario editor to 1941 and see what your PaK 36 looks like then.

Yes sure, i have right now the full game, and the grey version is in ... i know.

BUT actually i want to make some grafik mods for CMBB, but when i had this problem (with bad looking in game) i just stoped working on my mods.

Also wrote madmatt a email ... but think he has to much work/other emails :(

To hit the point i want to make mods for CMBB, but when they look like this ingame i dont want to make them ... . Uhm hope someone understands my poor english ;)

Greetings

Jean-Pierre

There's been several times I started doing a mod/BMP and I thought "there's no way I'll be able to improve this." And usually the first couple of attempts fail miserably. But then there's this point where you think "This is it! This is what I wanted."

So keep with it, JPS. Good results hardly ever come with the first try. And with every attempt you gain a little more skill.

Rinse and repeat, so to speak. ;)

Originally posted by Juju:

There's been several times I started doing a mod/BMP and I thought "there's no way I'll be able to improve this." And usually the first couple of attempts fail miserably. But then there's this point where you think "This is it! This is what I wanted."

So keep with it, JPS. Good results hardly ever come with the first try. And with every attempt you gain a little more skill.

Rinse and repeat, so to speak. ;)

So i have to experimate wich colours will go ingame and wich colours get replaced ??? ohhh gosh thats bad ... i just wanted to hear here that theres actualy a way that you see ingame what you actualy painted.

Greetings

Jean-Pierre

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I fail to see the problem - the in game shots look like what you painted on the bmp. What is it that you aren't happy with? Mods seem fine to me.

its more white a brighter grey ... and some areas are realy "pixely?" (you see pixels not smoth colour changing ... blocky) thats what im not happy with ... mayeb its cause im a perfectionst *smile*

But i see seriously a big difernece between texture in photoshop note its 200% view !!! and ingame (100%)its for me like day and night ;) in photoshop smothe colouring changing and in CMBB just blocking (i know that photoshop actualy dithers the textures but i opened the files in paint too ... just to see that it looks their good too ... )

Im the only one here who sees the big differnce ... i play now more around with it, i take a look at the grey textures made by BTS.

Greetings

Jean-Pierre

Hey i have no i repeat NO grey pak36 ingame ... i tried juli and december 1941 but on both it was yelow, the 48mm and 50mm and other are all grey ... hmm.

Saw in my bmp folder that theres just the "shield" named 13713.bmp and the same bmp, named as 13753.bmp (maybe the placeholder for the winterized grafik?) the grey gun grafiks and other of the pak is missing .. i think but i still searching.

But it is confusing, i mean the yelow pak36 is:

8520.bmp

8521.bmp

8522.bmp

8523.bmp

8524.bmp

8525.bmp

8526.bmp

8527.bmp

8528.bmp

8529.bmp

8530.bmp

8531.bmp?

The bmps for the grey pak should have the same filestructur ...

[ September 27, 2002, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: JPSeiler ]

IIRC the offset for Dunklegelb is 10,000, Winter is 50,00(?). So 8XXX should be Grey, & the yellow should be 18,XXX. I may be misrememberating this.

The CM engine is known not to handle dark colors real well. If you look at Mods by the guys that really know what they're doing you see lots of medium & light shades & when it gets dark it does so quickly & simply. It also seems to me that the CM engine has to resample .BMPs for it's own purposes & a lot of subtleties in things like shading & weathering can get lost or worse. My 'Grimy JT' is a good example of these problems, unfortunately ( a darn tasteful one though, if I do say so myself). Look at it in-game then look at the .BMPs themselves. Then there's different vidcards, monitors, resolutions, blah,blah, blah, & who knows what that might mean. I'm sure what we're seeing up top isn't exactly what you're looking at on your screen when you're working on it.

Hope this is helpful & not, er, the opposite.

Strt

Originally posted by mchlstrt:

IIRC the offset for Dunklegelb is 10,000, Winter is 50,00(?). So 8XXX should be Grey, & the yellow should be 18,XXX. I may be misrememberating this.

The CM engine is known not to handle dark colors real well. If you look at Mods by the guys that really know what they're doing you see lots of medium & light shades & when it gets dark it does so quickly & simply. It also seems to me that the CM engine has to resample .BMPs for it's own purposes & a lot of subtleties in things like shading & weathering can get lost or worse. My 'Grimy JT' is a good example of these problems, unfortunately ( a darn tasteful one though, if I do say so myself). Look at it in-game then look at the .BMPs themselves. Then there's different vidcards, monitors, resolutions, blah,blah, blah, & who knows what that might mean. I'm sure what we're seeing up top isn't exactly what you're looking at on your screen when you're working on it.

Hope this is helpful & not, er, the opposite.

Strt

Thank you very much ! I give it a try with "lighter colours"

Hey found a "interesting bmp take a look at 6574.bmp & 6674.bmp ... smile.gif dont know what it is ;)

Browsed all bmps again, and didnt found the grey one, im getting crazy.

Also would be helpfull to know the bmp numbers for the winterezied pak infantrie (german as first ;) ) and maybe flak some vehicles tanks... .

Why cant we have a "what number is what ingame list" from BTS ;)

Greetings

Jean-Piere

Originally posted by M. Bates:

Jean-Piere:

It would be quite funny if the picture of the woman on the inside of the gun was changed to a famous German such as Claudia Schiffer (spelling?)

Hehe, that reminds me of a notorious story involving the guy who played R2D2 in Star Wars.

Hehehee good idea, but actually its a picture from a soldiers woman i found in a diary ... online.

Also have some pictures (real ones, books) showing german soldiers having pin up girls on, for example the back of the mg shield in a spw 251/1 or pictures of cats, im serious smile.gif

By the way thats what i want to do too .. taking a look at the mg shield and maybe i can modifie it like i saw it in the book, its just looks awesome, a big cat on the rigth side and a nice women on the lfet side smile.gif !!!

And whats with the storie of R2D2 ;) ?

Greetings

Jean-Pierre

Originally posted by JPSeiler:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M. Bates:

Jean-Piere:

It would be quite funny if the picture of the woman on the inside of the gun was changed to a famous German such as Claudia Schiffer (spelling?)

Hehe, that reminds me of a notorious story involving the guy who played R2D2 in Star Wars.

Hehehee good idea, but actually its a picture from a soldiers woman i found in a diary ... online.

Also have some pictures (real ones, books) showing german soldiers having pin up girls on, for example the back of the mg shield in a spw 251/1 or pictures of cats, im serious smile.gif

By the way thats what i want to do too .. taking a look at the mg shield and maybe i can modifie it like i saw it in the book, its just looks awesome, a big cat on the rigth side and a nice women on the lfet side smile.gif !!!

And whats with the storie of R2D2 ;) ?

Greetings

Jean-Pierre</font>

The story about R2D2 is that, obviously, the guy inside R2D2 has to be inside the "costume" for long periods of filming. On the set of one of the Star Wars movies, the film technicians covered the *inside* of the R2D2 unit with rude pictures. Naturally Kenny Baker knew nothing about this, and by the time he was inside R2D2 it was too late, so he had no choice but to stare at ****s all day long!

Thats realy funny, for his luck it was metalic so that no one could see when he got horny smile.gif

Getting back to the topic, it is possible could produce different bmps of the inside of the gun, so each design is unique. Maybe the Waffen SS guns can have a picture of Adolf Hitler!

You mean when you have actually for example two 7,5cm paks you see two diffrent "shield pictures" than i have to say NO ;( theres only one texture for each gun, sure there are winterized textures as well, but you will only see them in snow/winter maps . You could see for sure diffrent "shield pics" of diffrent guns ;) .

I will make a set of diffrent textures for some (or maybe each) pak / flak, have some nice reference pictures with qoutes on it, or names, signs . So i will do Waffen SS paks/flaks and Groß Deutschland paks / flaks ... but isnt a picture of Adolf Hitler showing in game not a bit to uhmm narzistic, im not sure, maybe its cause im from germany, that i have not a good feeling by puting a Adolf Hilter picture ingame ...

Greetings

Jean-Pierre

[ September 28, 2002, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: JPSeiler ]

Can anyone please send me the grey pak textures how i said in my posts above i just got the "shield".

By the way im reworking the whole texture, so far only the shield texture cause i only have the shield texture *grrrr* *hint:D*.

Noted that the BTS texture is actually not very "correct" will post later some wip (work in progress shots).

Thank you in advance, laters smile.gif

Jean-Pierre

Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

CM does reduce the quality when importing 32-bit .bmps. I noticed this when I ported over the black leather Fallschirmjaeger skins from RtCW into CM.

The original BTF BMPs are 24bit bmps, and for sure i save my files as 24bit bmps too ... and thats what im wondering about, i mean when i import 32bit bmps i can imagin that it

a.) dosnet works (but thank your post i now that it works ;) )

or

b.) that it scales it down (like you said) but im still wondering that it scales than the 24bit bmps down to 16bit ... (think thats a fact now)

The effects are most noticeable on gray and black shades.
Yes thats actualy my problem cause i want to make a greyish texture ;)

But i will work on it, maybe sometime i get a nice result ;) .

Thank you and could you maybe please send me the grey textures for the pak ... PLEASE smile.gif

Greetings

Jean-Pierre

I was under the impression, for no particularly good reason, that CM used 16 bit color, so that's what I work in. So are you guys saying I'm right or wrong or don't know?

Thanks

Strt

You are right, or just i think the same ;)

BTW please could you send me the textures of the grey pak36 PLEASE ;)

Greetings

Jean-Pierre

I'll try to check it for you when I get back to my other Cptr, but I think something doesn't add up w/ your info. In some other Thread I can't seem to find right now Kwazydog or someone said that the offsets were as above, which means the #s you have should be grey, if they're the right ones, & the yellow should be the same # w/ a '1' on the front. Do you have BXX or CDV version. Maybe they're different. Again, I'll try to check my BXX copy later & see what I find.

Strt

I'll try to check it for you when I get back to my other Cptr, but I think something doesn't add up w/ your info. In some other Thread I can't seem to find right now Kwazydog or someone said that the offsets were as above, which means the #s you have should be grey, if they're the right ones, & the yellow should be the same # w/ a '1' on the front. Do you have BXX or CDV version. Maybe they're different. Again, I'll try to check my BXX copy later & see what I find.

Strt

Thank you very much! I have (for my bad) the CDV version ... :( .

Greetings

Jean-Pierre

I've e-mailed you .BMPs 13713, 13753, 8520-8531 from the International Mac version. I would like to know for sure if your copy has these as the Dunkle version.There is no 18520-18531 in my copy, so I don't know where the yellow ones are. Can anyone confirm the Dunklegelb offset?

Strt