Ambush

Funny you mention it... I actually made a scenario based on ambush map A. The scale's a bit off, though.

I haven't populated it with Germans yet though. If you want me to send you just the terrain map, email me: txe@swa.com

I'm *still* waiting for a computer version of Ambush... wouldn't that be awesome???

Trav

Hmmm, there were THREE ad-ons : Move Out, Silver Star and Purple Heart smile.gif

There also wa sa Pacific War version "Battle Hymn" with an expansion too...

I had all of them till two months ago, I sold all before moving...Anyway I did play only half of the missions.

Game was great, missions were even replayable to an extent. In CM we can make scenarios resembling Ambush but the scale was the individual, not the squad so it's diiferent - having to play only one squad in CM isn't much fun :eek: !!

I think it's feasible to make scens with the same "randomness feel" than Ambush by heavy use of "unsure" (not 100% chance) German/AI reinforcements at various map locations, but that's all we can do ...

Have you guys found any really fun [small or tiny preferably] CM scenarios that have a really "personal" feel to them, akin to Ambush?

I'm thinking maybe 4-8 units, understrengthed so that if they receive fire, they die pretty easily... The turn limit shouldn't be a factor; one side should wipe out the other side in order to win; no last minute objective-rushes... Terrain changes should be pretty dense, so that there's lots of opportunities for [ahem] ambushes.

Anyway, I don't really know the "magic formula"... just a scenario that has a very few units [all pretty small] and is long enough for you to get attached to those units.

Are there any scenarios like this now?

For me, the scenario that has reminded me the most of Ambush is "Drop to Destiny", although that has WAYYYYY too many units to develop any sort of attachment [for me at least].

Others???

Trav

p.s. I have "Soldiers at War" (got it in one of those ww2 bundles) but haven't played it yet. Do you think it's worth checking out [as an Ambush fan]?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SGT PERRY:

Anybody remember the board game "ambush". Are there any scenarios like that?<hr></blockquote>

Played the heck outta that game and it's PTO twin, "Battle Hymn." Anyone around here ever play "Patton's Best," a solitaire tank-fighting boardgame? I remember many long days in a vanilla M4, calling for arty, firing smoke, and running like heck whenever a German tank showed up (hoping the "friendly forces" roll at the end of the turn would take it out for me...). And most of all, hoarding every precious round of HVAP (ie, "tungsten") once I'd finally gotten into a 76mm Sherman. (The difference between split and oval loader's hatches is undermodelled! Fix or do somefink!)

I was never that into SL/ASL, so I always recalled these two games (Ambush and PB) when I first started playing CMBO.

I'd recommend the scenario "Combat--Hills are for heroes" as the most Ambush-like. Small, tense, filled with action. I believe it's at the Scenario Depot.

Agua Perdido

Hi Agua

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Agua Perdido:

Anyone around here ever play "Patton's Best," a solitaire tank-fighting boardgame? <hr></blockquote>

Pattons Best is an excellent game, I had several great campaign runs (some short -very !- others long) with crew all named as Hollywood Film Stars.

Good roleplaying elements to this title.

Also liked the similar system B17 game.

If I recall correctly there was a Tank 'roleplay' game (basically a PBest clone) produced by makers of Ambush (had a pic of a Sherman bursting through a hedge on front I think) anyone remember what it was called ?

Later

Gary

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sgt Steiner:

Hi Agua

If I recall correctly there was a Tank 'roleplay' game (basically a PBest clone) produced by makers of Ambush (had a pic of a Sherman bursting through a hedge on front I think) anyone remember what it was called ?

Later

Gary<hr></blockquote>

OPEN FIRE

I found Bruneval and Combat at the scenario depot [thanks!]

I still am curious about the command skorzensky scenarios... do you know where i can find them?

Thanks!

Trav

p.s. I started playing Soldiers at War... The interface is absolutely infuriating but nevertheless I'm having a lot of fun with it (reminds me of xcom and jagged alliance). There've been some really tense Ambush-esque moments, which is always cool...

Aah, I see Michael D beat me to the punch.

Yes OPEN FIRE. It is within an arms reach as I type this, really.

My favorite PBEM opponent and I recently finished a QB meeting engagement that felt very much like Ambush ! The components were:

1. A German vs a US platoon inf platoon.

2. Small or medium map.

3. Large hills

4. Village

5. Moderate trees

6. Clear weather

7. Franko's True Combat Rules

Hey Michael D, I am trying to get that son of mine you copied the Ambush! rules for, to try the

CM Demo. He is a real Ambush! fan

but he must convert! obey, OBEY !!

Controlling Toad

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Travis Emmitt:

I still am curious about the command skorzensky scenarios... do you know where i can find them?

Thanks!

Trav

p.s. I started playing Soldiers at War... The interface is absolutely infuriating but nevertheless I'm having a lot of fun with it (reminds me of xcom and jagged alliance). There've been some really tense Ambush-esque moments, which is always cool...<hr></blockquote>

I haven't go the time to search for you, but try searching under Skorzeny, not Skorzensky.

Originally posted by Sgt Steiner:

[QB]Hi Agua

Also liked the similar system B17 game.

Oh I remember it...

When I did my army service in the norwegian army,I had the unfortunate pleasure of spending some time in military prison.When my personal belongins were beeing looked over,they allowed me to keep my copy of B-17 that I had brought with me.It saved me from dying of boredom in my little cell.I played it from sunrise to the lights were turned out every day.Ahh...the memories.....

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Travis Emmitt:

<hr></blockquote>

Travis,

The Commando Skorzeny scenarios are all prefixed with CS. Simply enter CS into the Battle Name field of the Search page and you should get several listings.

Note that these are all hosted by the DFDR site, so you will be redirected to that site to obtain them.