off topic - new computer

Gentlemen,

Please forgive me for an off-topic question but I can thnk of no better resource than the good folks devoted to CM.

Time for a new computer. Would love to have an Alienware Area 51 or the Aurora or a Falcon Northwest Mach 5 but those are pretty much out of my price range. Does anyone have any opinions on the Falcon Talon series or a stripped down Mach 5 or Alienware. Or any other suggestions for that matter.

All I use my computer for is to play CM, internet DSL, downloading and playing tunes off the internet and some word processing. That's all I need. Thanks in advance for all your help and comments.

All I use my computer for is to play CM, internet DSL, downloading and playing tunes off the internet and some word processing. That's all I need.

you shouldnt need anything more advanced than a 1Gz processer, 256mb SDRAM and a poxy ol geforce2 GTS

CMBB wont tax your computer much (correct me if im wrong)

its not like your playing current first person shooters, or the like.

dunno what that would cost in the states, but here in New Zealand it would be very cheap for a computer at those specs, in fact they dont even really advertise computers that low spec these days

I had a Faclon a couple of computers ago. It was great for flight sims. Never had a problem with it. I did have a couple tech. questions and their folks back then were very good. Not too long of a wait on the phone, and they responded to e-mails quickly.

That said, you can get some pretty good deals on basic systems from Dell. If I was on a budget, I'd try looking at them and comparing exactly what the cards are and so on vs. the lower end Falcons.

my specs:

700 mhz celeron

384 meg ram

32 meg graphic card

(total cost under 350 bucks)

works fine with (any 2 at a time of):

word processors

java application servers (tomcat)

database engines

Operation Flashpoint

Europa Universalis II

internet surfing

CMBO

Winamp

some other stuff you might want:

fast system bus (more important than CPU)

133 mhz, 200 if you are using amd

266 state of the art I believe

fast hard drive (comparison shop for seek time, cpacity and transfer rate, NOT rpms!)

Make sure your motherboard can support the highest processors on the market currently, so you can upgrade if need be, and look into DDR memory, or at least a board that supports it.

You can get a 1.2 or 1.4 w/ a motherboard capable of going up to 2 gz, so with that you should be set without the initial big cost. Also the DDR is quickly becoming standard.

As for hard drives, G-cards, etc, I consider those things temporary and replaceable, so get whatever you can afford. The most important piece of hardware to consider is the MOTHERBOARD!

Hope that helps! :D

Whatever you do, don't let them talk you into getting a Vantec top of the line/most powerful on the market, fan.

I'd suggest a good Volcano fan with just enough power to cool your system. Trust me on not buying something too powerful as the noise will bug the sh*t out of you like it did me.