Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Airplanes

coe

What no Stuka?

Seriously, though. I did a quick battle -

Summer, dry, clear, flat treeless land, small map.

Two soviet battalions crammed together rushing a

german company in trenches.

I threw in a Henschel tank buster or two.

The masses of infantry were moving over open ground (which I know isn't really like lawn flat). The

plane however picks one infantry squad away from the clumps of squads, and strafes it. The plane did it again but to another isolated squad. and then again

A few observations:

The plane avoided the meaty masses.

the infantry didn't thrown themselves on the ground as the plane passed over (only the squad that was fired on).

While there were other squads somewhat near by, the strafing seemed really pinpointed to that squad (i.e. the plane didn't let out a long Mg burst over like 50 yards or something like that.

Interesting...I bet a hardcore realistic strafing run would be too hard to model accurately.

I wouldn't mind though if the Henschel did a long sweeping strafe from end to end of the adancing horde (the company was hard pressed).

While there were other squads somewhat near by, the strafing seemed really pinpointed to that squad (i.e. the plane didn't let out a long Mg burst over like 50 yards or something like that.
Hmmm. I had some Hs-129B2s strafing me the other day. The impacting bullets very slowly worked their way along the ground for hundreds of meters, creating many hundreds of little 20mm explosions and resultant tiny craters. The impacts seemed to completely fill a 20m square terrain tile at any one time and progressed across the map at about 1 tile per second.

The really interesting thing is that this creeping barrage of 20mm continued LONG after the plane's shadow had swooped across the map. Hell, I even shot down some of these planes and the strafing effect continued after they were dead.

Pausing the film and clicking on my units, I determined the planes' targets each run. In each case, the impacts started short of the target, worked their way onto it, held there for a couple of seconds, then worked on beyond the target for a LONG way. Often, this extension of the strafing crossed over other units. I found the net effect very depressing smile.gif