Kersantti Pajari

Naw, they're not alive. "Alikersantti Pajari, leader of 5 man finnish jääkäri team" has cleverly propped some Soviets up as decoys to lure more in... he's out of ammo and needs the poor unsuspecting Ivans closer so he can poke 'em with the tootpick! :D

I had a tank hunter team take out 27 casualties. Not much of a surprise for an uber-Finn; but after _running out of ammo_, he singlehandedly killed an entire elite Soviet cavalry squad, blazing away for two continuous turns, in hand to hand combat.

As you can see, toothpicks aren't necessary.

I had a pioneer squad which did cause over 25 casualties, get half dozen POWs and kill 3 tanks.

First killed T34, then two BT5's, single handedly.

Since they had no more satchels, they skillfully blew the second BT5 with remaining stick grenades..

In same game I had also a squad which had made over 45 casualties.

I had a Fiiniish üübëër squad use the dreaded Kamehameha DragonBall power chant, which killed every enemy unit on the map and in the next 3 scenarios before and after that one in the list and then crashing my computer.

I am a believer!

Ka-Meh

Ha-Meh

HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

:D

Gyrene

Sardaukar,

I'm the webmaster of finnishwar.cjb.net and I can confirm that there are some errors on the page. Unfortunately I haven't had time to update it for a while, but I have a whole new version of the entire website on my HD. I will get it up ASAP and coeect the errors on the rank page.

Since we're talking about finns ;)

Played a small, 300 point QB against a combined arms russian assault. Funny thing happened. The russians had a flame tank of some sort (year 1941) and my Lahti ATR's couldn't penetrate even the sides. The map was quite open and I had nothing else to kill the tank with (and in a QB that small, you just don't have the manpower to suppres the enemy inf AND assault tanks). I sensed defeat. Suddenly along rumbled a tankette, parking nicely besides the flametank. Here's the funny part: my Maxim HMG opened up on the tankette, causing a catastrophic explosion and blowing up even the flametank ;) Laughed and assaulted the remaining russians with my Sissi squads (those Suomi SMG's are brutal), routing 'em and earning me total victory.

Sometimes pinecones and sticks aren't enough and you almost have to use real bullets ;)

I just played mission, where I had multiple squads with tens of kills.

Here is the squad of Alikersantti Torni, 71 casualties and a prisoner, who somehow didn't get killed in the rush smile.gif

In the background are also other squads visible, one with 37, one with 27, one with 43.. and two of them having T34 in their credits (with grenades and molotovs :>)

hooki.jpg

Originally posted by daft:

Sardaukar,

I'm the webmaster of finnishwar.cjb.net and I can confirm that there are some errors on the page. Unfortunately I haven't had time to update it for a while, but I have a whole new version of the entire website on my HD. I will get it up ASAP and coeect the errors on the rank page.

I am still looking for information to complete my page on ranks at:

http://members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/ranks.htm

I never saw the point of translating ranks into English, because it is meaningless - far better to describe the typical responsibilities of the various ranks.

Can you tell me what ranks "typically" led a squad, platoon and company in the Finnish Army?

Were Korprali considered NCOs in the true sense of the word? The German equivalent - Obergefreiter and Gefreiter - were not considered NCOs, only glorified privates. Every army did things differently, and this stuff is of interest to me. Always looking to find out more.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

[QB Can you tell me what ranks "typically" led a squad, platoon and company in the Finnish Army?

Were Korprali considered NCOs in the true sense of the word? The German equivalent - Obergefreiter and Gefreiter - were not considered NCOs, only glorified privates. Every army did things differently, and this stuff is of interest to me. Always looking to find out more.[/QB]

Squadleader: Korpraali or Alikersantti

Korpraali wasnt a NCO, alikersantti was.

Platoonleader: Vänrikki or Luutnantti.

Companyleader: Kapteeni

Off course there were both higher and lower ranks, ideally korpraali is the second in command for a squad. All was subjective to amount of casualities I think. Hope it helps.

Jussi

Were Korprali considered NCOs in the true sense of the word? The German equivalent - Obergefreiter and Gefreiter - were not considered NCOs, only glorified privates. Every army did things differently, and this stuff is of interest to me. Always looking to find out more.
Yes Korpraali is kind of glorified private.

Korpraali would most likely lead 2nd team of men if squad was splitted. Also he would be vice leader of squad and take command if leader (most likely Alikersantti or Kersantti) was killed or unable to command.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I never saw the point of translating ranks into English, because it is meaningless - far better to describe the typical responsibilities of the various ranks.

That's exactlly what I've done in the new version of my webpage. As soon as I get the time I will upload it.

Great work with your own page btw! Very infornative and interesting.

:D Great thread.

I know next to nothing about the uber-Finns in WW2, which is a situation I will rectify soon, especially if someone here can point me to some good books.

In the meanwhile can anyone tell me what an approximate English translation for a 'Sissi' and 'Jaakari' unit would be? I would never call a Finn 'Sissi' unless I was in a nuclear shelter on the other side of the planet (a Sissi in colloquial English is very derogatory).

Also, does 'Lahti' mean anything or is it just a manufacturers name. See, I told you I knew nothing!

As I have understood it. "Sissi" does not have a direct translation to english. Sissi is a unit that operates independently behind enemy lines, not partisan, but similar. The most important part of his work is intelligence.

/** Edited: Do not confuse the fact that the Sissi is still a very "combatant" unit, not a spy. He was one of the most trained Finnish units in the wars **/

Jääkäri is pretty much the same as the German Jaeger, your normal infantry man in the army.

The Lahti m/30 Anti-Tank Rifle was named after its inventor, Aimo Lahti. Lahti is as well a city in Finland.

Hope it helps,

Jussi

[ October 11, 2002, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Jussi Köhler ]

Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

:D Great thread.

I know next to nothing about the uber-Finns in WW2, which is a situation I will rectify soon, especially if someone here can point me to some good books.

In the meanwhile can anyone tell me what an approximate English translation for a 'Sissi' and 'Jaakari' unit would be? I would never call a Finn 'Sissi' unless I was in a nuclear shelter on the other side of the planet (a Sissi in colloquial English is very derogatory).

Also, does 'Lahti' mean anything or is it just a manufacturers name. See, I told you I knew nothing!

Sissi would translate to guerrilla, and Jaakari would be Jaeger...or something :D

Lahti is also a city in Finland, and it means gulf.

Originally posted by Jussi Köhler:

The Lahti m/30 Anti-Tank Rifle was named after its inventor, Aimo Lahti. Lahti is as well a city in Finland.

Nitpicking: it was m/39 actually...

20 Panssarintorjuntakivääri 39 is the full name, meaning 20 Anti-Tank Rifle 39.

20 is the caliber, 39 is the year of introduction.

This same pattern goes for nearly every weapon used by the Finnish Defence Forces. First is the caliber, then comes the type of the weapon, the the year of introduction. There are exceptions though.

[ October 11, 2002, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Osmo ]