Spotter ( funny )

I have a little question.

For example: Ok. First you choose target and your spotter starts firing on it after certain period. In the next turn you embark spotter(jeep, tank, whatever).When he is embark he stops firing immediately but his status in the "box" will be still "firing".

He can sit in the jeep for two turns and nothing will happen, but status will be "firing". He starts firing again when he is disembark ( the same second ) in the same target. ( its better than TRP ;) )

what represent this thing in real life since this is not " cancel target " (or is, but super flexible )?

It's a little funny.... dictate tempo of the battle while sitting in the jeep.

Thanx

Ales

Originally posted by Ales Dvorak:

....what represent this thing in real life....

You're being sarcastic, right? 'Cause this sounds like a bug to me. ("No, it's not a bug, it's a feature!")

Just a little side effect of units not being able to fire while they are passengers on vehicles.

I've always felt it was a mistake to disallow FOs to function while in vehicles. The Allies, for instance, had vehicles assigned to FOs specifically for this task. Jeeps, armored cars, and even tanks were equipped with extra radios to allow such.

And don't get me started on FAC teams.

Michael

Wait a sec.

Does the minutes until impact continue to count down?

Could you start the firing early, then race the FO closer and have him fine tune the target at the last second, reducing his exposure to fire?

Or does the minutes until impact simply suspend temporarily.

If so you could have your FO climb in a jeep just seconds before impact. Then he could simply stay in the jeep until the most ideal turn for impact comes around.

Is that it? I have never heard of this.

To be a Fire Observation Officer was something of great responsibility and required a person to be able to make calculations while under fire.

The dedicated FOO who was detached from an artillery battery had to adjust range and bearing for the guns if anything close to accuracy could be achieved. This had to be done from a datum point (his position).

If a FOO was displaced, he would have to give the fire mission from scratch from his new position, and that would add a delay, especially if the fire was coming from the same Battery.

That one spotter can't control the fire of several batteries at once probably mimicks the problems of radio-communications in WWII (i.e. the manportable ones at the time could not cater to several frequencies at once. In fact, most modern ones don't do this either).

Of course, I could be wrong. If anyone could give better facts to correct my assumptions, I'd be more than happy to take the criticism.

Well, I'm no expert on artillery (or much else for that matter), but if you like I will try to summarize what has been previously posted by those who have looked into the matter.

And that is that in both the British and American armies, FOs had the capacity to call on every battery within range at need. It really wasn't necessary for him to have a radio with all the frequencies of the various batteries. All he needed was the frequency to the central fire director who would manage matters from there. Of course, just exactly how much support he could call on at any given time depended on a lot of different factors, such as what was happening on the rest of the front, how many batteries were free, how lucrative or threatening the target was, ammo supply, etc.

Michael

Until recently I was unaware that artillery fire would stop if the FO embarked (never had an opportunity to learn that little bit in info before). But I was using him to drop smoke to mask a major charge I was planning in this scenario and I had him drop a bunch of smoke in one place and then thought I'd move him to another point to have better LOS at my second target. The upshot was that the smoke started petering out just as my forces were coming into a huge open area.

Can you say massacre? I knew you could.

I was not amused.