What's the best Resolution?

Honestly, it's whatever res you feel most comfortable with. I like 1440x1080 on my 21" screen. I've tried 1600x1200, but text gets a bit too small. Lower resolutions are a bit grainy (pixels are too large) and objects aren't as well defined. Higher res makes edges look crisper and reduces texture shimmer (though only good AA can really get rid of it). Mainly I like 1440 because that's what I use for my desktop. On a 20" screen I'd definitely give atleast 1280x960 a try (23% more pixels over 1152; 1440x1080 is 56% more pixels). To define some of the more oddball resolutions (if your video card doesn't natively support them), Powerstrip can help.

I think the game can go up as far as you can define resolutions for Direct-X. Which should be atleast 2048x1536. I can do 1800x1440 in CM with my monitor, but things are awfully small and that's only a 60Hz refresh rate.

- Chris

Guest Panzer Boxb

I run the game at 1600x1200 (PC) and 1600x1024 (Mac) on large LCD screens and the game looks absofrigginlutely beautiful with little stutter in large battles. Both systems used Nvidia GF4Ti4600 cards.

Originally posted by jonp:

How do you go about setting the resolution?

The first time you install it it will ask you to confirm a res. If you wish to reset it to another res you must manualy go in a delete a certain file which has currently escaped my mind. Anyone care to answer?

jonp

On a PC, go into control panel, display, settings.

You will be able to move a slider to the desired resolution and apply it.

I think you have to delete the CMBB preferences file and once you start the game the next time, it will go through the resolution setup procedure again.

No idea about a Mac.

Hope that helps

BDH

I realize how to set my computer resolution (I am

using WinXP).

I remember when I first ran CMBB it asked me for

a resolution but I believe it was only 1024x768.

How can I get it to do a higher resolution? Do

I have to set my computer to a higher resolution

and then it will default to that?

I hope my machine can run higher (I have an

Athlon 1900+ with 512 megs and a GeForce 4 4200 w/

128 megs)

Thx

jonp

Originally posted by jonp:

I realize how to set my computer resolution (I am

using WinXP).

I remember when I first ran CMBB it asked me for

a resolution but I believe it was only 1024x768.

How can I get it to do a higher resolution? Do

I have to set my computer to a higher resolution

and then it will default to that?

I hope my machine can run higher (I have an

Athlon 1900+ with 512 megs and a GeForce 4 4200 w/

128 megs)

Thx

jonp

"Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs" is the name of the file you delete from the CMBO folder. This enables the option to re-set your screen resolution. I imagine CMBB is the same.

[ September 24, 2002, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Abbott ]