June 22 1941 what do the Germans have to kill a KV1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading an account of the efforts required to destroy just one KV1.

Part of an attack of 20 KV1's, this single tank reached a vital supply road. Attempts were made to take it out with 50mm AT guns, new to the front. They were knocked out despite scoring 14 hits on the beast.

An 88mm was brought up, but due to the time to deploy, the KV1 was able to knock it out at a distance of 700 yards. Attempts were made by engineers to sneak on it at night, but this proved abortive. The charges were not capable of doing any real damage to the oversized tracks.

Finally it fell to a ruse, were by the tank was attacked from all sides by 50 panzers, to keep it's attention diverted from a second attempt to set up an 88 flak to take the KV1 out from the rear. Of 12 direct hits three pierced the tank and destroyed it.

What amazed the germans, was that the russians had not taken advantage of the chaos this single tank was causing. They seemed to watch passively as this single monster tank dominated this supply route for a number of days. A number of KV1's from the original attack had survived, one wonders what would have happened had they made an appearance.

I don't think it fair to say that the KV1 did not cause the germans any real problems and that they adapted quickly to the situation. It was a matter of days before thay employed a ruse requiring a large number of tanks to keep it occupied, so that a 88mm Flak could be set up close enough to take it out. One must remember that this succeeded due to the inactivity of the russian forces in the area who seemed to be content to watch this drama played out to it's conclusion.

Having finally had the chance to read through this thread, I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking what I'm thinking: there are some real interesting CMBB scenario possibilities here: one KV-1 vs. a whole bunch of German light tanks and AT-guns. How do the Germans cope? One Finnish Seargant vs. about 20 KV-1s. How do the Russians cope?

Originally posted by Berkut:

I remember reading an account of the efforts required to destroy just one KV1.

Part of an attack of 20 KV1's, this single tank reached a vital supply road.

Berkut,

does it say anything about the other 19 KV-1s?

they must have been stopped by something - breakdown/immobilization or enemy effort?

I had been wondering how a coordinated attack of a good number of KV-1 s would look like. We always read about these instances where one or two of them get isolated and prove to be sturdy surrounded defenders. If they are always such a problem when isolated and immobilized, one wonders how a full assault of these things would look like.

I trawled around my book collection to find the account and found it in "Fighting in Hell" edited by Peter Tsouras.

The attack made by 20 of these "monsters" brushed aside a force of 100 panzers, they then fell on several disabled tanks and knocked them out.

A 150mm battery to the rear was destroyed even though they fired directly at them and scored several hits, they could not knock any out.

It was a nearby force of 88mm Flak that knocked a "few" KV1's the rest retreated into nearby woods. One obviously never got the retreat order and continued on.

Reading on I discovered that the crew were given food and water during the evening by civilains to allow them to carry on. It does make you wonder what was going on inside the russians head.

They must have known what the level of damage this single tank was doing, I guess it comes down to training and doctrine.

Originally posted by Berkut:

They must have known what the level of damage this single tank was doing, I guess it comes down to training and doctrine.

Maybe the one tank did, but without a radio, they couldn't alert anyone else.

But it's also possible that they didn't realize what a thorn in the German's side they had become, especially if they had been bypassed by other German troops.