CM3 with DirectX9 effects? PLEASE!

I really hope that BFC chooses to go with platform independence via OpenGL rather than some DX variant.

Remember, this game is built just as much for Macs as for Windows. Heck, we might get triply lucky if they go with OpenGL by getting a Linux version too (hey, it could happen).

[edit]

Besides, those are technology demos, any "real" game wouldn't end up looking like that anyway smile.gif

[ October 29, 2002, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Cameroon ]

Originally posted by Cameroon:

I really hope that BFC chooses to go with platform independence via OpenGL rather than some DX variant.

Remember, this game is built just as much for Macs as for Windows. Heck, we might get triply lucky if they go with OpenGL by getting a Linux version too (hey, it could happen).

Maybe BFC team has heard about this kind of cross platform technology.

Take care,

JeF.

DX 9 and OpenGL 2.0 have essentially the same functionality.

DX9 doesn't really do anything revolutionary compared to DX 8, it just does it better. I'm not sure if 128-bit color and the expanded pixel and vertex shaders would really make enough difference in CM to be worth it. Remember, CMBB is still just 16-bit color.

DX 8 shaders could be used for things like water. By the time CM3 is out DX 8 compliant cards will be common enough to support it. I also recall Kwazydog mentioning bump-mapped tanks...