PBS in collusion with Battlefront.com?

Maybe it's a coincidence but the local Public Broadcasting station here in Boston (U.S.A.) just spent ALL of last night on the Eastern Front. An hour program about Army Group North, another on Army Group Center, and another hour on Army Group South! It looked like one big info-mercial for CMBB. Hey Matt, you guys got a payola deal or something with PBS?

The program looked like a British import. A nice overview of what each army group had to contend with, though they were really skimpy on info about Russian forces. A touch too much hero worship for the valiant German warrior for my tastes in the series, though... in my opinion.

[ October 03, 2002, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Maybe it's a coincidence but the local Public Broadcasting station here in Boston (U.S.A.) just spent ALL of last night on the Eastern Front. An hour program about Army Group North, another on Army Group Center, and another hour on Army Group South! It looked like one big info-mercial for CMBB. Hey Matt, you guys got a payola deal or something with PBS?

The program looked like a British import. A nice overview of what each army group had to contend with, though they were really skimpy on info about Russian forces. A touch too much hero worship for the valiant German warrior for my tastes in the series, though... in my opinion.

I saw that a couple years ago.

There was an insane show on the Eastern front of pbs's sister station or whatever it is 3 years ago, never seen anything like it before or since, this war footage was war footage, and on the eastern front, showed stuka's blowing t-34's up into the air,and landing upside down, it was amazing that a tank can be tossed up into the air like a paper wieght, tanks getting their turrets blown off, i'm not talking about 3 second clips from a bunch of different battles either.

I don't even think i'd watch it again either, but it's good they finaly at least put something on that does'nt look like an espn highlight show of a world war.

[ October 03, 2002, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Gaylord Focker ]

Yeah, I've got this set on video, a 3-volume set in a slipcase. It uses a lot of declassified Soviet footage. The only thing I didn't like about it was the lack of interviews with survivors, scholars, etc. The dry narration really started to put me in a stupor after the first tape.

Just watched Kino's DVD re-release of MEIN KRIEG last night. Anybody here seen it? It's a documentary on five Wehrmacht infantrymen (maybe one in the Luftwaffe), all of which shot a great deal of 8mm footage during the campaign. Very interesting, since there is no war footage shown that they did not shoot themselves. This paints an eerily intimate portrait of the war.

From Gaylord Focker:

There was an insane show on the Eastern front of pbs's sister station or whatever it is 3 years ago, never seen anything like it before or since, this war footage was war footage, and on the eastern front, showed stuka's blowing t-34's up into the air,and landing upside down, it was amazing that a tank can be tossed up into the air like a paper wieght, tanks getting their turrets blown off, i'm not talking about 3 second clips from a bunch of different battles either.

Tanks being blown upside down?? HMMM... It seems that I saw a long-running thread on that about six months ago...More grist for the mill, here... :D

I've notice while watching these WWII documentaries that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I often find myself cringing at what's being left out, glossed over, or mis-stated. Not to mention the repeated use of that damned 'generic' film footage used for filler. They're taking about fighting for Kharkov and show exactly the same infantry-throwing-grenade clip as in their piece on Stalingrad! Do they think we're not paying attention?

That's what I like about that Brit magazine "After the Battle" They are SPECIFIC! "This picture was taken on this specific date, at this specific place, taken facing in this direction on this street corner"! Death to generic footage!

I sympathize with your Death to Generic Footage wish

but unless generic scenes are used

the total amount of film in most WWII Documentaies

would likely be something in the range of 3 minutes

I guess we could just look at maps or the narrator

[ October 03, 2002, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: jeffsmith ]

You gave me a thought. What's wrong with a WWII documentary using still photos like the Ken Burns series on the civil war? Who'd rather see a still photo of a specific Panzer II at the very place being described in the commentary on the very date being described in the commentary, as opposed to overused generic propaganda film? I think these documentary producers underestimate their audiences.