Video requirements for CMBB

Basically BTS is aiming for an absolute minimum of 8Mb of VRAM (though the bitmaps will look 'low-res' with this amount of VRAM). 16Mb and 32Mb of VRAM is closer to the expected minimum for CMBB, with 32Mb the 'primary target' for CMBB's graphics. For desktop users there should be little problem getting a video card to meet CMBB's requirements.

For laptop users this specification can be a bit of problem since it is extremely rare that you can upgrade the video memory on a laptop. In the last two years laptops have been coming out with 8-32Mb of VRAM, but a more typical size is 4, 8 or 16Mb for most laptops (often powered by an ATI video chipset). Therefore if you're thinking of playing CMBB 'on the road', you may need a beefier laptop.

I haven't heard what the prognosis will be for iMac users who are limited to 2-6Mb of VRAM. It may be possible to run CMBB with 4Mb on an iMac, but the graphics will look like CMBO with bitmaps 'straight from the CD'. Doodads and other improvements will probably have to be turned off in order for CMBB to run properly on such configurations (if CMBB is even able to run at all with this amount of VRAM).

[ February 15, 2002, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

What are your system specs?

Don't quote this in stone, but i think you would be fine if your computer has 128mb of ram, PentiumII/III 350mhz, and a 16 mb video card.

I would suggest upgrading your video card to a 32mb nvidia geforce2, they've gone down alot in price, i have a 64mb geforce2 that is going for around 80 bucks now i think wich is a decent price.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

....what the prognosis will be for iMac users who are limited to 2-6Mb of VRAM....

Respectfully Submitted smile.gif FYI

This means users of older iMacs

Since October of 1999 (Introduction of the "Slot Loading CD" iMacs) they have had at least 8mb of Ram ATI.

The last revison of the "Pumpkin" iMacs in Summer of 2001 had 16 mb of Vram ATI

and the new "Desklamp" iMacs have 32 mb of Ram NVidia

[ February 15, 2002, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: jeffsmith ]

Originally posted by JAK:

Iron Chef,

I am looking at upgrading my puter to a 64mb GeForce2 MX400 PCI from a 32mb. How is the performance of the 64mb card, will it be able to handle CM:BB's giant maps?

Thanks in advance,

Jake

It will be able to handle the maps with ease...i have the geforce2 MX400 in my computer and it works great! I repelaced a geforce1 in my computer with it a few months ago, and it performs much better then my 32mb Geforce1 card.

Originally posted by The Commissar:

You know, if you post your system specs, we can tell you if you have enough juice or not.

I have a cheapie emachine eTower 600is with an onboard AGP video card. It sucks memory from the main system. I currently have 96 meg, so it seems I'll need to invest in a separate video card.

Originally posted by mdutton:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by The Commissar:

You know, if you post your system specs, we can tell you if you have enough juice or not.

I have a cheapie emachine eTower 600is with an onboard AGP video card. It sucks memory from the main system. I currently have 96 meg, so it seems I'll need to invest in a separate video card.</font>