CMMOS Ideas for GEM and Co.

Future CMMOS upgrade ideas -

Reporter Module

How about a module that will output a .txt file (either for viewing or printing) listing all textures in the game

(grouped in sets - ie Buildings, PzKpfw IV, British uniforms, Allied Jeep, etc.) and then a listing of all mod sets you

currently have installed in the bmp folder?

Group configurability - an option where you can click a button, and use the above list to create "groups" - ie you

want to have all your Axis armour plain dark yellow (mono). The above list is brought up in CMMOS, and you

are asked to create a group - you get to name it (you call it "Axis Yellow"), then click to select each mod you

want included in that group.

You go through your list, see that you have Fernando's Pz IV, Pz V (early) and Pz V (late) mods installed in

CMMOS, and click them to select. They now belong to Axis Yellow group.

You decide to experiment with some other CMMOS downloads; you install GEM's Pz IV hasty ambush, you try

out the Italian camo Panther (late), you put a field grey mod on the early Pz V that you designed yourself. You then

decide you want all your amrour back to dark yellow. Instead of trying to remember which AFVs you actually

have dark yellow mods for, and then selecting them all one by one, you simply his Axis Yellow, and all your tanks

are back to dark yellow.

I bring up this example since I am currently engaged in the Onion Wars - I want to mod all my axis and allied stuff

to represent red and blue armies, flags and spotted unit markers included, but I want the ability to switch back to

WW II mods - the only way to do that now is to click on all the different categories individually. If I could create

my own groups, then I could have a high-end non-official Onion Wars Ruleset that includes everything, and then

create a WW II group with my fav mods in it - sort of a default for myself.

My suggestion would be a tuotrial, instructions or a user guide that starts from scratch?

Assume the user knows nothing other than they own CM and have the desire to manipulate the mods/skins. The speak english, but are not computer or file structure savvy.

Write step by step instructions based on that underlying premis.

The folder for the onion wars stuff is a good idea; I suppose I could have my entire BMP file duplicated into another folder as a backup "modded default" - still, if a person wanted several groups - ie all armour in hasty camo, all dark yellow, all Allied vehicle from one regiment/division, etc. Not sure if the current system could be configured like that - it is all dependent on the file extension - but I thought I would throw it out for discussion. Gordon is very receptive to ideas, and is definitely proactive in providing "customer support" which is appreciated, so didn't think it would hurt...

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Future CMMOS upgrade ideas -

Reporter Module

How about a module that will output a .txt file (either for viewing or printing) listing all textures in the game

(grouped in sets - ie Buildings, PzKpfw IV, British uniforms, Allied Jeep, etc.) and then a listing of all mod sets you

currently have installed in the bmp folder?

I'm not sure what you're asking for here. If it's the BMP list, that's already there in the various "FileList" files.

If not, then are you trying to find out which was the last BMP that CMMOS installed for a particular file number?

Regarding teh listing of all mod sets you currently have installed, CMMOS doesn't know that. All it knows is that you

have a BMP named "XXXX_uk.bmp", not that it came from Marco's Sherman set or somebody else's Sherman set.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Group configurability - an option where you can click a button, and use the above list to create "groups" - ie you

want to have all your Axis armour plain dark yellow (mono). The above list is brought up in CMMOS, and you

are asked to create a group - you get to name it (you call it "Axis Yellow"), then click to select each mod you

want included in that group.

You go through your list, see that you have Fernando's Pz IV, Pz V (early) and Pz V (late) mods installed in

CMMOS, and click them to select. They now belong to Axis Yellow group.

You decide to experiment with some other CMMOS downloads; you install GEM's Pz IV hasty ambush, you try

out the Italian camo Panther (late), you put a field grey mod on the early Pz V that you designed yourself. You then

decide you want all your amrour back to dark yellow. Instead of trying to remember which AFVs you actually

have dark yellow mods for, and then selecting them all one by one, you simply his Axis Yellow, and all your tanks

are back to dark yellow.

I bring up this example since I am currently engaged in the Onion Wars - I want to mod all my axis and allied stuff

to represent red and blue armies, flags and spotted unit markers included, but I want the ability to switch back to

WW II mods - the only way to do that now is to click on all the different categories individually. If I could create

my own groups, then I could have a high-end non-official Onion Wars Ruleset that includes everything, and then

create a WW II group with my fav mods in it - sort of a default for myself.

I guess what you're asking for is a "meta-Rule" capability. Unfortunately, you'd have account for which Option was

selected for each Rule, as well as which Advanced Options were selected (if any), and it would have to be order-dependent

in that case. Then I supposed you'd want an editor to allow you to modify the list, because you might have messed up

one entry and you don't want to have to go back and re-do it. Hmm. Seems like an awful lot of work for not too much

gain, but then I'm open to discussing it.

Gordon

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

My suggestion would be a tuotrial, instructions or a user guide that starts from scratch?

Assume the user knows nothing other than they own CM and have the desire to manipulate the mods/skins. The speak english, but are not computer or file structure savvy.

Write step by step instructions based on that underlying premis.

PawBroon is trying to pin me down to work on a tutorial/guide for his M&M site (and it's just a matter of finding the time). However, it really is pretty simple (and will be even more simple when CMMOS v3.02 is released).

Basically, you put all your mods' BMP files into the CM:BO BMP folder and you install CMMOS. That's it.

Gordon

Originally posted by Gordon:I guess what you're asking for is a "meta-Rule" capability. Unfortunately, you'd have account for which Option was selected for each Rule, as well as which Advanced Options were selected (if any), and it would have to be order-dependent

in that case. Then I supposed you'd want an editor to allow you to modify the list, because you might have messed up one entry and you don't want to have to go back and re-do it.

Head of nail, meet hammer, also known as Gordon.

Hmm. Seems like an awful lot of work for not too much gain,
au contraire!!! Actually, I can just keep my bmps in seperate folders for this purpose, as was suggested above, but thought I would mention it here.