(AI) AFV (not) getting LOS by blowing light buildings

It was hard to find a good subject title lol

My question:

Seeing that in CMBB the light buildings can be blown away with one shot, i dont understand why the AI AFV's dont use this when my AFV's are reversing behind a light building.

I have read about the AI cant remember things as soon as units are out of LOS but think about this adding to the AI behavior:

AI AFV's will target light buildings when enemy units are disappearing behind those light buildings.

This goes also for infantery etc offcourse.

I think the AI will do much better then !!

Monty aka Moose

Im playing a scenario now in which i have hide a LOT of my russian AFV's behind light buildings and the enemy Tigers did not shoot once.

Roger, OFTEN buildings are destroyed by accident smile.gif

Especially the russian tanks destroy there own houses hehe

Monty aka Moose

wwb, im not shure if your are right (yet)

When AI is targeting a AFV , and that AFV is reversing or moving or whatever behind a light building, just a trigger to target THAT building would be ( imho )very easy to program ?!?

Monty aka Moose

[ November 12, 2002, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Monty ]

Nope...the AI doesn't do Area Fire, AFAIK. That coupled w/ lack of memory leads to gamey possibilities like putting an 9xSMG squad in the middle or back corner of a house, and the AI never figures out how to cope w/ that and keeps sending in the lemmings...no change of plan, no tanks destroying the house. And if it loses LOS, it tanks won't necessarily move over to get LOS, since it "forgets" that you were there.

I have seen the ai area target once... a t-34 of mine was targeting an enemy squad in a foxhole an the squad hid (or took cover... whatever) and thereby dissapeared from my view... an for a second or two (and JUST a sec or two) the t-34 area targeted (with a visual area target firing line) the foxhole... but then the squad appeared again and the tank targeted it again... i checked it several times and the tank DID area target... dont have a schreen or save tho... wanted to get on with the fight wich was at a pivotal point... turn 28 of 30 with HEAVY combat taking place... but it did area target... so why cant it target a building then? :confused:

I don't recall ever seeing the AI do area fire in CMBO, but then others have played hundreds upon hundreds more CMBO games than I.

I wouldn't be surprised if BFC added an area fire code to the AI for CMBB, since pre-emptive/speculative area fire is so crucial under the new Suppression model.

I too had the AI area target me. In Tiger Tiger I had my T-34s doing shoot and scoots on that main hill, and one of the PZ III's targeted the 34, as it was reversing from the hill, Then when it got out of los the targeting line changed to a gray area target, which was very close to the T-34.
A gray targeting line would indicate smoke, which is fairly common. I've seen tanks do it in CMBO too. An orange targeting line would indicate HE or AP, which I've never seen the AI do.

The AI does area fire, you just ofen don't notice it.

As to blowing away buildings to clear the LOS, this isn't really a valid tactic in CMBB from what I've seen. First, you get a huge cloud of billowing dust that hangs there for a couple turns and pretty much blocks the LOS for an area all around the building. Then you've got the rubble sticking up and that can also block the LOS at times.

So say you've got a squad behind the building. The tank blows the building away and the resulting dust still hides the squad. The squad takes advantage to move into the rubble and hide. By the time the dust settles, the tank won't see it, and the squad's got better cover than if it was in an intact building.