"The duel" ... or "Neumann's wrath"...

In a QB against the AI I witnessed the following:

The AI broke though my infantry screening force and moved an AT team up to one of my PaK.

cm1.jpg

A hilarious duel started to unfold.

First, the 'zook team knocks out the PaK...

cm2.jpg

... but they shouldn't have messed with Neumann and his crew, boy where they pissed! :D

cm3.jpg

Originally posted by ciks:

Strange thing is that the gun looks very much knocked out already in the first screenshot, as the gun elevation is way too low.

Did the Pak ran out of HE, btw, as they were looking at the zook for 5 secs?

Nope, the gun wasn't knocked out. The gun elevation was so low because it engaged the bazooka team at this extremely close distance. Notice the little crater just behind the 'zook team in the second pic? The gun fired 1 or 2 seconds before the 'zook team.

At first I didn't notice that the gun was knocked out since the barrel didn't "drop" 'cause it was already on maximum depression.

I saw a little explosion, then the crew opened fire.

For a moment I thought that the gun crew killed the frenchies with their pistols while still manning the gun!

The problem was that the crew was busy engaging a panicked mortar crew 600m away...

Question: You are manning a 50mm PaK and two guys are running towards your position.

Do you

a.) try to engage the two with your gun?

b.) grab your rifle and open fire with small arms?

c.) wait 'till they knock out your gun, then open fire with small arms?

I really would like to see gun crews defend themself with small arms when engaged in close combat, rather than trying to turn around their 88 FlaK to fire at some bad guys 10m behind them...

[ March 12, 2002, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]