Does the stealth bonus really do anything?

Originally posted by redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Holien:

I do not believe that Combat Bonus increases chance to hit with mortars.

Have you any evidence for this?

Oh yes, I tested it quite throroughly, it was my great time without work but more pay smile.gif

Anyway, just set up a bunch of Pz IV in front of woods, a bunch of 3" mortars inside the woods and then give half of the mortars HQs without combat bonus and the other half 2+ combat bonus. The ones with combat bonus will reliably hit a standing Panzer within one turn,the others can shoot half their ammo before scoring a hit.

Now, it might be the case that the bonus does not apply when the mortar has LOS, I only tested for targetting through the HQ.

All this is another reason why I became a little CMBO-annoyed.</font>

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

When I do a QB, I line up all my platoons in a straight line so all the Platoon HQ's are in a line. I click down the line and separate the platoons into different task *areas* based on the platoon bonus'.

This is pretty much what I do too.

Michael

Originally posted by redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Holien:

I do not believe that Combat Bonus increases chance to hit with mortars.

Have you any evidence for this?

Oh yes, I tested it quite throroughly, it was my great time without work but more pay smile.gif

Anyway, just set up a bunch of Pz IV in front of woods, a bunch of 3" mortars inside the woods and then give half of the mortars HQs without combat bonus and the other half 2+ combat bonus. The ones with combat bonus will reliably hit a standing Panzer within one turn,the others can shoot half their ammo before scoring a hit.

Now, it might be the case that the bonus does not apply when the mortar has LOS, I only tested for targetting through the HQ.

All this is another reason why I became a little CMBO-annoyed.</font>

BTW, just as a note, last night I was playing a TCP/IP QB with me defending as the British. I had a two 3" Mortars and a bunch of 2" Mortars that came along with my company of paratroopers (1000 points defending).

The game goes on and a chance comes up to get a SPW 250/9 with both an AT gun and a 2" Mortar. I used the 2" Mortar only to draw fire and get its attention, the 2" had a direct LOS. The turn starts and I forget about the little armoured car. The next turn, the AC is KO'd with the 2" Mortar having a AC kill!!!

Later, some Mark IV's attack my position and come to a stop to bombard my troops. I target one with my 3" mortar who was under command from a double star leader. One shot miss, two shot Buttons it up, third shot ***BOOOOOMMMMM***! Right in through the top and the whole thing explodes in a ball of flame! No crew survived.

They work and dont underestimate them.

Chad Harrison