A question for the WW2 professors in the room.

Ok, I have a question for the historians in here. I've been here reading things that people have been posting about the war ranging from infantry to various guns carried by the tanks to that great post JasonC (I think that's who it was) wrote about the StuG. I'd like to know; where in the world do you find all these intricate details and how much study did it take to achieve the level of knowledge that you all possess? I like to think I can hold my own when it comes to discussions about WW2 but I come here and the amount of information I can find is amazing at times. I'd just like some starting points on where I can get into some of this detail that people here have.

Thanks for any information you'd like to share.

First off, you have to sell your soul to Satan. Try contacting your local Church of Satan Priest or Priestess. They can be a tad hard to track down what with all the secret rituals and murdering of the love sick teenagers in the forest preserve stuff. Try hanging out with some heavy metal bands and you might get hooked up. Once you've actually found them you're gonna have to find a way to get inside one of their black rites. Usually these will occur with fool moons and other weird natural events. After you've made it in just sit back and enjoy the ride. The price for the knowledge you seek is simple, your soul. The big guy will hook you up alright and you'll be set for life.

It's a life long passion. Read, study, schooling anything that pertains to WW2. Some like the details in weapons, others the sweep of battles, others the political intrigue...find the one thing you like within WW2, and make it a lifelong passion to learn all you can about it. It's a simplistic answer but true

Originally posted by Frenchy:

It's a life long passion. Read, study, schooling anything that pertains to WW2. Some like the details in weapons, others the sweep of battles, others the political intrigue...find the one thing you like within WW2, and make it a lifelong passion to learn all you can about it. It's a simplistic answer but true

Pfft! So inefficient. Why go down that road when you can learn everything you'll ever want to know with a simple sale? Unless of course you're scared of a little eternal damnation. Are ya? Are ya?

Originally posted by Thermopylae:

So I take it the devil rejected your offer Capt?

And HOW!

Come to think of it, I still haven't got my soul back. Perhaps I should talk with him about it...it's awful disconcerting to go through life without a reflection. Well that settles it, I'm off to find some furry little animals to sacrifice.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Start anywhere and pursue it as hard as you can. I've been reading on the subject of WW II for half a century and I come across something I never heard before every day on this board, so the subject is inexhaustable.

Michael

Would you agree that if one was ever to fully understand the second world war, they would have to also have some knowledge of the first?

Originally posted by Das Reich:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Start anywhere and pursue it as hard as you can. I've been reading on the subject of WW II for half a century and I come across something I never heard before every day on this board, so the subject is inexhaustable.

Michael

Would you agree that if one was ever to fully understand the second world war, they would have to also have some knowledge of the first?</font>

Originally posted by Squadldr76:

Ok, I have a question for the historians in here. I've been here reading things that people have been posting about the war ranging from infantry to various guns carried by the tanks to that great post JasonC (I think that's who it was) wrote about the StuG. I'd like to know; where in the world do you find all these intricate details and how much study did it take to achieve the level of knowledge that you all possess? I like to think I can hold my own when it comes to discussions about WW2 but I come here and the amount of information I can find is amazing at times. I'd just like some starting points on where I can get into some of this detail that people here have.

Thanks for any information you'd like to share.

All you have to do is go to your nearest book store and browse the military history section. Thumb through whatever catches your fancy. Buy whatever you can afford. Eventually you will build up a library on a subject you enjoy. I buy a new book just about every weekend. Just got a good one on the Crimean War the other day. If you can't find something at the book store, you can always browse Amazon.com or Borders books online.

Originally posted by Das Reich:

Would you agree that if one was ever to fully understand the second world war, they would have to also have some knowledge of the first?

Sure. And everything else going right back to Adam and Eve if you like. It's all connected.

smile.gif

Michael

[ February 25, 2002, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Prove positive that American thought to the contrary, Colonel Khaddafy is NOT the devil.

No the Devil isn't Colonel Khaddafy...it's Colonel Sanders from Kentucky Fried Chicken.

C'mon now; KFC's logo is a pale old man wearing a civil war-era bowtie, against a bright red background. How much more proof do you really need?

Edited because I have yet to master the intricacies of proper quoting.

[ February 25, 2002, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: GreenGriffon ]