mine formation

Hi guys, i'm been playing a few defensive games lately with mines, and wondered on any particular favourite ways of placing these.

For example, if you wanted to really deny access through a certain area, would you try a staggered formation;

ie _-_-_-_-_

so that any Inf. coming through would be really discouraged

or, with a couple in a line, and when they go around these, flanking fields

ie ___---___

I dunno, i even tried a 'channel', a V shaped area which required quite a few mine fields, to squeeze the attacking infantry into a crossfire.

any other ways people have found successful?

The most important thing is just to not have them all lined up straight across, with a ruler. That is much easier to anticipate and avoid. Other than that, terrain, the number you have, and the purpose of the field more or less dictate the shape.

CMBO minefields have a substancial chance to be crossed by a vehicle, or by a squad with minimal losses (and since it is early in the game, hence global morale is high, it will probably continue to go forward). That is a very good reason not to rely on a single belt. And even if they work, they work only once.

Surprise laying of mines works surprisingly often. Like one antitank minefield which the attacker stumbles into, but right after (not besides) it is a second one. Happend to me in a TacOps game tuesday, we broke through a belt of ditch'n'wire and wanted to move over, but the creative defender had some mines right after the wire. Poor M113s...

I find antipersonnel mines to be much more useful. Placing them in front of important positions you don't want to be swept over with the first scout line. Or infecting the majority of useful cover on an approch with them, covered by MGs.

It's sad that this stuff is so expensive in CMBO. But at least you don't lose victory points smile.gif

The most important thing is just to not have them all lined up straight across, with a ruler.
No no no no! The important thing is _to_ line them all up straight across... during "practice" games with your friends.

Then start laying staggered/crooked lines in games you bet money on.

Then find new friends.

;)

Oh yeah, I actually have some advice: Since they are expensive, and thus lines are seldom practical in QBs, I like useing an AP mine or two to deny choice cover to enemy infantry. Can work very well if you arrainge to have a hidden HMG or squad open up on enemy infantry just as they realize they can't duck into that bit of Woods.

In games with lots of trees this seldom works, but instead AT mines placed in a few open pathways can make defending against armor easier.

It's always a gamble, though, buying just a few mines in a QB. You havn't seen the map yet, and there just might not be anywhere to good put 'em.

[ June 28, 2002, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Tarqulene ]

Originally posted by Tripps:

Hi guys, i'm been playing a few defensive games lately with mines, and wondered on any particular favourite ways of placing these.

For example, if you wanted to really deny access through a certain area, would you try a staggered formation;

ie _-_-_-_-_

so that any Inf. coming through would be really discouraged

or, with a couple in a line, and when they go around these, flanking fields

ie ___---___

I dunno, i even tried a 'channel', a V shaped area which required quite a few mine fields, to squeeze the attacking infantry into a crossfire.

any other ways people have found successful?

CM minefields are IMO not dense enough to be really effective. Hence I do not place a field there another over there and the the third in the third place. I place them all in the same spot (mixed AT/AP) to achieve double, triple density. The trick is to find the ideal place for them and to cover the remaining routes with support fire (HMGs and small arty). You (and terrain) must force enemy to use the approach route with the mines.

OR you use such multiple density fields to completely block this route and force enemy to use another one. (such dense minfields require lots of engineers and demo charges to clear)

An amusing little trap is to place a couple of daisy chains in a row with an AT mine at just past the end. If placed in the right spot it can work quite nicely as your opponent goes around the obstacle. It may only work once per opponent but enables you from then on to get far better mileage from you daisy chains as your opponents won't go anywhere near them.