High-rez skies wanted

I downloaded surlyben's skies from CMHQ, but several of them wouldn't convert to a Mac-readable format. This apparently includes all the pretty dawn ones. Anyway, the ones I did get haven't shown up in my current QB which is set in March 1945.

Guess I'll keep searching. The only thing I could find by magua was trees and houses.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I downloaded surlyben's skies from CMHQ, but several of them wouldn't convert to a Mac-readable format.l

What do you mean? (I'm on Mac & there was no problem).Sky is in graphics 9 (1400 - 1414) and in graphics 10 (1430 - 1444 ).Maybe this is your problem? (renumber bmp)

[ March 29, 2002, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Ales Dvorak ]

you have to do a bit of fiddling around with the BMP names.....the names of the files you download arent used by CMBO, but in the read me file that comes with the download, he explains which BMP replaces what ie: 1415(a real CMBO BMP) which is dawn lo res, you have downloaded 1435 which is dawn high-res, but your game is still using 1415, you need to change 1415 to something like 1415-original, and change 1435 to 1415, hey presto....phew

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ales Dvorak:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I downloaded surlyben's skies from CMHQ, but several of them wouldn't convert to a Mac-readable format.l

What do you mean?</font>

Originally posted by Panzerman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ales Dvorak:

What do you mean?</font>

Not entirely sure I followed you through all those zippers, smile.gif but the files were automatically unzipped by Stuffit Expander as soon as they finished downloading. Whatever the problem is, it apparently is peculiar to just a portion of the files as MCM3 had no trouble converting the rest.

I just opened my Data folder and noticed that four of my graphic files labeled backup 3-6 were loose as well as the new ones of that number. So I created a new folder and put them in that. Doubt that that will have any bearing on the present problem though as you say the sky graphics are on 9 and 10.

Why does this have to be so hard?

Michael

Did you check to see if there were any zip files within the file the stuffit unstuffed? It happens to me some times. It doesn't always unstuff zip/suffit files that are within what you unstuffed. Also sometimes the file name is to long and the .bmp gets knocked off the end, check to see if all the bmps have the .bmp on the end.

[ March 29, 2002, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Did you check to see if there were any zip files within the file the stuffit unstuffed? It happens to me some times. It doesn't always unstuff zip/suffit files that are within what you unstuffed. Also sometimes the file name is to long and the .bmp gets knocked off the end, check to see if all the bmps have the .bmp on the end.

Okay, I'll try that and get back to you.

Michael

Okay. I opened the original downloaded (and unzipped) files and found that many of them had a jpg instead of a bmp suffix, so I relabeled all of those and a few more made it through MCM3 into my data folder. However, the trouble doesn't end there. Many of them don't have numerical prefixes (like 14xx) but words like 'falldawn' and all of those aren't making it through the mill. What should I relabel them to?

Michael

Okay. I opened the original downloaded (and unzipped) files and found that many of them had a jpg instead of a bmp suffix, so I relabeled all of those and a few more made it through MCM3 into my data folder. However, the trouble doesn't end there. Many of them don't have numerical prefixes (like 14xx) but words like 'falldawn' and all of those aren't making it through the mill. What should I relabel them to?

Michael

I ll download it tomorow and let you know. By the way which mod did you get?

By the way which mod did you get?

Surlyben's. They come in two folders from CMHQ and in three from Tom's CMHQ. I downloaded the latter a couple of hours ago but haven't done anything with them yet. I don't realistically believe that they will be any easier to deal with but thought I would at least give them a look.

Michael

OK I downloaded the pack and now I see why you are having problems. You can't use all the ones you see, because there are some that have the same bmp number.

(EG 1401, 1401b, 1401c etc.)

That is why some of the ones you see aren't what you get in CM you have to chose the ones you want, before going into Mac mod manger. Thats why you see ones that are going through the manger, but don't show up in the game.

They are just, as the CM Mac Mod Manger says they are jpgs. or wav. files.

Just open them up with the quick time viewerâ„¢ and they are just picts no bmps, sorry about leading you down the wrong path so to speak.

[ March 30, 2002, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

It's been a while since I looked at the zips with my skies, but IIRC, the images with labels like "falldawn.jpg" are just screenshots with no actual impact on the game. The game files are all numbered.

Files with names like 1400b.bmp and 1400c.bmp are alternate skies for a particular season. I keep meaning to go back and make them CMMOS compatible, but that would mean downloading and learning CMMOS (and wouldn't be helpful to people on a mac in any case.)

Surlyben