Anyone seen (heard) this bug?

So I've plotted what is sure to be the greatest 60 seconds in Combat Mission history. I press "GO!" and eventually I get to the enter a file name blah blah blah message. I click the mouse. At this point I hear the unmistakeable sound of a panzerfaust firing.

When I get the movie back, sure enough, within the first few seconds of the movie, one of my vehicles bursts into flames.

Has anyone else seen this before? Has anyone had it happen where the tank doesn't get killed? Has this been fixed in CMBB?

this has now happened to me on two occasions, so I think there's something to it...

[ May 16, 2002, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: Windopaene ]

Are you positive that the vehicle was NOT hit by a Panzerfaust legitimately? Ask you opponent if you're not sure; he should be able to find a nearby infantry unit that has a vehicle-kill listed. I've noticed that, from time to time, when I'm at the "enter file name" window I can hear various things sound effects (engines running, command voices), sort of a "aural ESP." Once I've entered the password and the CM intro splash screen comes up, the sounds quit.

DjB

I don't think it's a bug. I believe BTS have deliberately designed the game to give you a tiny hint of the likely action to come just as you finish entering your file name. I usually hear a brief snippet of an enemy tank moving just at the end of my turn which always means without fail that an enemy tank is certainly moving up from its previous position. Same with Panzerschreks etc. if they're about to fire early into the next turn. I don't have a problem with it however as once you're at the stage you're at, there's nothing you can do to change the outcome anyway, even if you wanted to.

Personally, I regard it as a nifty feature and not a bug. There's nothing more suspensful than hearing that haunting noise of a Panther moving right at the end of your file when you're damned sure you hadn't seen one up to that point and just hope it wont be moving into position to draw a bead onto your own tank force.

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

once you're at the stage you're at, there's nothing you can do to change the outcome anyway, even if you wanted to.

Actually you can. Just trash the file and redo it.

Another trick is to watch the progress bar. If you are advancing to contact, you can see on the progress bar that it slows down if you run into enemy troops. An unscrupulous player could plot the fastest possible advance, and then watch the bar to see if he gets in trouble. Then redo the move if necessary.

Originally posted by CMplayer:

Actually you can. Just trash the file and redo it.

Another trick is to watch the progress bar. If you are advancing to contact, you can see on the progress bar that it slows down if you run into enemy troops. An unscrupulous player could plot the fastest possible advance, and then watch the bar to see if he gets in trouble. Then redo the move if necessary.

I don't doubt you CM Player but I would hope that I never come across such a player. You would have to question their motivation for playing if all they can do is stuff around the way you've desribed when CMBO is supposed to be a game to enjoy, which includes the suspense the game naturally contains without somebody trying to skew the results in their favour.

Regards

Jim R.

If memory serves me, there was a thread on this long ago, in a far far corner of the CM database. It isn't a bug, or isn't some sort of bad bug anyway, but rather the AI doing the number crunching process at the moment the "go" button is pushed, (depending upon the turn sequence your in at that point in time). And what you hear is a part of that crunching process. There are a few other sounds that periodically slip through the CM dimension. ("There's the sign post up ahead", wahh-wahh doo dee doo-doo, doo dee doo-doo... "You are entering a dimension in space and time...") Sorry, watched too much TV as a kid. redface.gif

Now, someone then said if I remember correctly, that when you open the return file, you can use the force scroll (plus/minus keys), and find the variences from the actual combat that took place "prior" to running the movie and watching the results. Something of a time warp where the AI has already processed the results and the movie is simply catching up with those results in real time.

All that is ofcourse, if I remember the thread correctly. But hell, if Ozzie Osbourne can get paid to write his memoirs which could only consist of two weeks of recollection then I figure I should get a break. Now, as to your question about "does it always result in a kill, or "friendly" kill? Not in my experience. I've experienced the premature release faust or zook sound (don't be ashamed Son, it happens to everyone sometime), at the "go" button to find that it turned out to be a miss, or even a ricochet. But it does set one to fretting a bit don't it. I'm proud of you, most men won't discuss it in public. :D

[ May 16, 2002, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]