linux

The CM series uses the DirectX API under Windows and QuickDraw 3D RAVE on the Mac. Neither of these APIs is fully supported under Linux or 'Lindows' to my knowledge. While there are some DirectX emulators under Linux, they do not support enough of the API to allow the CM series to work.

The next generation CM (CMx2) will be written in the OpenGL API (possibly for both platforms, but at least for Mac). This is the native graphics API for Linux, however Linux isn't slated to be supported according to past statements so far. One reason being the multitude of distributions and the possibility of things not working with different kernels or modified libraries, etc. I wouldn't rule out Linux compatibility as of yet, but I highly doubt that future CMs (at this point) will be sold specifically supporting Linux.

CMBO runs in 640x480 software in vmware under Linux.

Wine and Winex do emulate a lot of Direct3D just fine. However, the problem with CM is not that it uses DirectX, the problem is that CM uses some ancient DirectX 5.x calls. It appears to be the only attractive game doing so at this time, so motivation for Wine hackers to add them is low.

The choice for APIs (both Mac and Win) for a 2000-2003 game series is most unfortunate, this will seriously hurt longevity of the games. This is the same issue that leaves ATI and Intel users without fog, forces Mac users into OS9 and I wouldn't be surprised if some NVidia issues were related to it as well.