Another splash screen

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by kump:

I can have them all. Cycle through each screen and each music intro continuously. Start CMBB and have a different splash and music each time. One of the advantages of knowing batch files.

Gary,

Care to divulge your batch file secrets so that I can do the same with my splash screens? I use Windows98 BTW.

Sincerely

Charl Theron

WineCape,

Hmm... I was afraid of that. Someone would want to know. You should have some experience with batch files. When I get home tonight, I'll email you my stuff, then you can look into the files and see what I'm doing, and then change them to meet your purposes.

By the way, I start CMBB by running the batch file, which in turn will start CMBB once the music and splash screen have been cycled.

Edit: And yes, it works for Windows98.

[ October 21, 2002, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: kump ]

Ok, everyone who requested the Splash, I sent the mail out.

To anyone else interested... be sure to keep an eye on Tom's CM HQ. smile.gif

[EDIT]: This batch file thingy sounds rather easy. Just a collection of copy/rename commands, I assume? smile.gif

[ October 21, 2002, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Sytass ]

Sytass,

That is what it is doing, but it needs to do more than that. Think about it, it must cycle through all your available splash files and music files, remembering where it previously left off, and restarting the list when it gets to the last file. Its not complicated, but the batch file needs to save the last position it was at in another file and read that file when you run the batch file again. Batch files don't offer a lot of commands, so it gets a little strange working within its confines, but it works.

[ October 21, 2002, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: kump ]

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Got it! Thank you sir!! :D

I looks great, however you need buttons for "Continue" and "Go Back" under the "Start Game" section, and a "Go Back" Button under "Multiplayer Options." :(

Otherwise, best splash screen ever. :D

I'm aware of the "Go Back" button, but it's the same BMP in scenario selection and MP gaming but in different locations, so copying from the splash bitmap doesn't quite work. :(

To keep the look coherent (a bit) I therefore skipped the "Continue" button for the scenario selection, too. :(

Originally posted by kump:

Sytass,

That is what it is doing, but it needs to do more than that. Think about it, it must cycle through all your available splash files and music files, remembering where it previously left off, and restarting the list when it gets to the last file. Its not complicated, but the batch file needs to save the last position it was at in another file and read that file when you run the batch file again. Batch files don't offer a lot of commands, so it gets a little strange working within its confines, but it works.

I was thinking it would work like this:

(Splash screens are in c:\splash)

Copy Splash1 from c:\splash to c:\cmbb\bmp

Rename Splash2 to Splash1

Rename Splash3 to Splash2

Rename Splash(n) to Splash(n-1)

Copy Splash from c:\cmbb\bmp to c:\splash as splash(n)

If it were me, I'd use the background for the "Start Game" section and just let the button in "Multiplay Options" look goofy. The reason is that when you want to start a new scenario, you tend to brouse the lists (you are on the screen for a bit), but when you go to multiplay, you are in there quickly to either connect to an IP or read over your PBEM folder (thus you ignore the buttons in the multiplay screen).

Or you could create full buttons for those using none of the background, but something with the same font and style to work with the rest of the mod.

Just some suggestions. smile.gif

[ October 21, 2002, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

I was thinking it would work like this:

(Splash screens are in c:\splash)

Copy Splash1 from c:\splash to c:\cmbb\bmp

Rename Splash2 to Splash1

Rename Splash3 to Splash2

Rename Splash(n) to Splash(n-1)

Copy Splash from c:\cmbb\bmp to c:\splash as splash(n)

I would suggest that the process above is too much system work and would delay the starting up of CMBB after all that renaming. The best is not rename all those files at all, but have them numbered splash_(n).bmp, splash_(n+1).bmp, and so on.

Then your batch file reads a save file and gets n, copies over splash_(n+1).bmp, and saves (n+1) to the save file. Done. When (n max) is hit, n=1 is saved to repeat process.

I'm currently using it with CMBB this way with no less than 45 WWII intro songs, about half German with the other half made up of Russian, Italian, and Finnish songs.

[ October 21, 2002, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: kump ]

Woops, also wanted to state that another advantage of this save system is that you can open up the save file with any editor and change the number to have the next CMBB load the song or splash screen of your choice. In other words, you don't have to touch the main batch file to get it to load songs/splash out of sequence.

Makes testing new splash screens and songs a lot easier.

[ October 21, 2002, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: kump ]

Just got it, thanks a lot Sytass. Looks great.

As for this batch file thing to randomly pick music and the main screen. Anyway to make this into a mod that can be installed without having to actually figure out how to make it work? Im sure this would be pretty popular mod.

MeatEtr,

The batch file system would not make a good mod. You would need to understand it and change it to your own file locations, number of files, etc.. If you don't understand it well enough, you can cause problems.

Now there is no reason why an application can't be written that would "randomly" mix splash screens and music. I certainly don't have time for this type of work, since all programming work I do is for... err... work (and mostly Linux and VxWorks). At home, its CMBB and CM Outpost maintenance. Its enough. I use batch files to whip it out in ten minutes effort and get what I want.

Don't forget that CMMOS started this way. Initially it was a set of batch files that moved files around for Canadian, Polish, German, French, USA, and British markings. Then someone got tired of the batch files (prone to error) and wrote CMMOS. And thank goodness. A must have application if there ever was one! May blessings forever fall upon all responsible.

Anyone who wants a peek at the batch files can send me email and I'll send it to them. Anyone who writes a windows application to randomize these files and start CMBB would even be better. Any volunteers?