Powder blue Panzers and zoot suits!

I seem to have joined the ranks of those who have fallen prey to some strange graphic texture glich. I started a QB last night and when I went to set up my units, I noticed some really bizarre uniforms on my soldiers. These were much wilder than any screen shots I've seen posted here before. I have screen shots if anyone wants to host them.

Then I started to check out my vehicles. These were for the most part okay, except for some funny stuff with the tracks. Then I came to a row of tanks that I swear to god were sky blue (some of the soldiers helmets were too). Whooeee! Some weird!

I tried aborting the battle after saving it and then loading it back up. Same thing. I tried quitting the game and relaunching it and the battle. Same thing again. Then I tried loading the demo because I thought that it was possible that some texture files might have becme corrupted. Yike! The demo, which had previously looked fine, now had technicolor Panzers too!

I have started to suspect my video card (nVidia 2MX for Mac). Nothing else that I run shows any problems, but then I don't have anything else at the moment that uses 3D, so I don't know what that proves.

I would have posted this in the tech forum, but this problem has been discussed here before and I thought this is where interested parties would come to look for information on it.

I'm baffled.

Michael

After I woke up today an idea came to me, so I tried the program again after a restart. Sure enough, the problem had gone away. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier... redface.gif

So, if you begin having crazy textures show up in your game, and nothing else seems to fix it, you might try a restart/reboot.

Michael

[ October 06, 2002, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

This is happening to lots of folks (me included). They think it is a lack of VRAM in some video cards, but I think it is another problem altogether. Like you said, it dosen't always appear. So if it was a VRAM issue, it should be constantly showing up on maps that use more polygons than your card can handel.

Anyway, it is on their "please fix or somfink" list.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

[QB]After I woke up today an idea came to me, so I tried the program again after a restart. Sure enough, the problem had gone away. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier... redface.gif

Because Windows makes the monitor emit harmful radiation. First you forget that rebooting will fix most problems, then you think MS is the bee's knees.

If you have a Mac, your mental disabilities are your own fault. ;)

Originally posted by Tarqulene:

If you have a Mac, your mental disabilities are your own fault. ;)

Perhaps not entirely. I've noticed that if I put my Mac to sleep without quitting OE and IE first (those wonderful products made by—ta-dah!—Microsoft), when I wake it back up they completely lock up my computer. I can't even use a forced quit to get out of them. I have to resort to a hard restart using the Reset button.

Lots of funny things happen in cyberland.

:rolleyes:

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

After I woke up today an idea came to me, so I tried the program again after a restart. Sure enough, the problem had gone away. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier... redface.gif

So, if you begin having crazy textures show up in your game, and nothing else seems to fix it, you might try a restart/reboot.

Michael

Or sleep off the drugs.